At 09:03 AM 5/10/2010, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
>Ed Avis <e...@...> writes:
>
>> Perhaps there should be a meta-contributor-terms where you agree to
>> accept future
>> contributor terms proposed by the OSMF.  Then there wouldn't be the need to
>> re-ask everybody each time the contributor terms change.
>
>Insurance companies would love this idea :) However, I consider that by
>accepting Contributor Terms the mapper makes a binding contract with
>OSMF and that can be changed only if both OSMF and mapper accept it.
>License can be changed later because that possibility is written in CT
>but not CTs.
>
>Now we have perhaps 20 or 30 thousand contracts with CT 1.0 but apparently in
>the future contibutors will be asked to accept CT 1.1. What is the plan with
>those CT 1.0 mappers? Will they just continue to contribute under CT 1.0 or
>will they be asked to accept CT 1.1 before they can continue?  For me the
>changes between 1.0 and 1.1 look negligible but perhaps having both CT 1.0
>and CT 1.1 users could make things even more garbled.

At the moment I do not see any need to force CT1.0 contributors to accept a
CT1.1,  they can just continue under 1.0.  However, any user should have the
voluntary option to do so if they wish.

I completely agree with your first paragraph point.  It is extremely important
for contributors to lock in the OSMF.  This is the anti-hijack mechanism.  Even
if a future OSMF were able to get new contributors to accept some different
kind of terms, the OSMF would still be obligated to a large mass of existing
contributors, who would control the bulk of the data, to release only under a
free and open license.

Mike
LWG