On 7 October 2010 10:43, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:

> On 10/07/2010 10:04 AM, Ed Avis wrote:
>
>> Rob Myers<r...@...>  writes:
>>
> I'm coming to the conclusion that "individual contributor of original data
>> to OSM" and "institutional importer of a third party database" should be
>> treated differently, and possibly that OSM should do the Debian thing of
>> having different repositories for different classes of resource. The end
>> result can still be BY-SA map tiles...

Couldn't the same thing be achieved by having the license at the object
level instead so I could mark my own surveyed data as PD while externally
sourced objects (eg. OS data) would have the appropriate license attached?
Data users could then make the decision on what data to pull out based on
the license they want to apply to their product. This would also allow the
project to use non-commercial sources and the like just marking the objects
with the appropriate licenses.

I guess this is also 80n's point re. different licenses coexisting in the
same project.

Kevin