Hi,
I am sorry, you are right, based on what I said, this conversation hardly
concerns osm directly. I asked before I did not know where to start getting
real help about this. And so, thank you for your answer. It finally got into
the heart of the subject.
I never thought of that point, that transport companies do not collect the
timetable database, as it is already there. And this was, in fact, almost my
argument in what I said, except that I did not realize the full extent of
the separation between the creation and the gathering of the timetables.
And you are right too, in the fact that timetables are close to be obvious
copyrightable things, in that they are original creations of the mind, that
really needed thinking, and time. About the distinction between sui generis
and copyright, I jumped some times between the two groups of articles you
cite here, I just did not understand until now that "sui generis" was
exactly what I called "database copyright", as opposed to "droits d'auteur",
for what you call - and actually is -"database copyright". In other words, I
knew the distinction but did not know how to say it in english.
What is weird, though, is that really every lawyer I asked in France,
confirmed me there would not be any copyright on a single timetable, and the
same for the collection of different timetables. They were always afraid of
the interpretation of the database law, precisely because there had been no
cases about it yet.
And about the formal instruction, the point is I am a student, and I don't
know if with the 500€ a year max I could spend on such unpredicted stuff, I
would be sure to get my final advice...And when I asked today to one of the
lawyers I called, he told me that on such a complex case, it would very
probably cost me a lot...I really do not know where I will be able to find
out all this money for that...and when I asked other cabinets, without even
forwarding me to any lawyer they told me straight that this would be really
expensive...I am no business man, unfortunately! Especially if I wanted,
like at the beginning, to open this site I wanted to create, to as much
countries as possible...this is just impossible to do without a huge proper
funding...and still, it will be no use to osm and transiki because, even
with all the advice that could be gathered, on the ways to bypass what can
be bypassed, as you said it would probably be still too risky to use
anything without proper authorization...
Maybe then I will just turn to Transiki, and think of a way to get all these
damn authorizations fast...We may still have a point in the fact that travel
agencies in France always have this dichotomy between their internal
database, and you recreating it with one-by-one timetables...Upon what you
said, they still have to authorize it (which, in my experience, they all
even do not know), but they will be much eager to do so, based on everything
I heard. So developping a tool to assist timetable data transfer from pdf
files to the transiki database, would still be a good thing I could start
thinking of...
Anyway, thank you for this very clever answer, it made me advance in this.
Good night
Andrei