>> That requirement is only for OSMF to provide attribution when they
>> distribute the OSM data. It does not force OSMF to require other
>> downstream data users to provide similar attribution when they
>> distribute derivative works / databases. So this clause would not
>> stop OSMF releasing the data as PD as long as OSMF still maintains
>> an appropriate attribution page themselves.
>
> That is true. If OSMF wanted to release the data as PD, it would have to
> delete any OS OpenData-derived content first.

However, is there any guarantee that OSMF will remove such data first?
(With the current data, there's quite possibly no way to do so even if
they wanted to, because of poor attribution standards in the OSM
database. And there's nothing in the CTs to make this easier for
future data either.)

Turning your argument around, you could argue that if the license you
use the data under requires something that's not absolutely guaranteed
by the CTs, then you are not permitted to make use of that data for
OSM under the CTs. Yes, you could then argue that it would be OSMF's
fault if they didn't remove the data, but having to argue that in
court isn't something that should fall on volunteer mappers.

Which all goes to illustrate a major problem with the current (and
revised) CTs in that they require users to make legal judgements for
which they are then responsible to some extent. I have my view, you
have yours. We can agree to differ, but that doesn't solve the
problem. Even if OSMF's lawyers says one view is right, that doesn't
necessarily make it so, and people following their direction may still
later be found to have violated the CTs. Any rulings by OSMF need to
be incorporated into the CTs to make things clear.

A much better way forward would be for the CTs to allow contributions
for which the mapper owns all the IP (for which they can make whatever
grant of right to OSMF without problem) plus contributions that
include IP from data available under a set of licenses from a list
defined (and updateable) by OSMF.

OSMF would then be the ones deciding precisely which licenses are
suitable, and which would impose impossible restrictions for either
ODbL or any future licence they may want to consider. For licenses
that may conflict with some future OSM license choice (eg those
requiring attribution) the CTs could make it clear that such data may
need to be removed, and also how such data needs to be marked to make
such removal easy (which may be mandating that a separate account be
used for edits based on such data).

--
Robert Whittaker