Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
CONDITIONS FOR TIMSC TO RELICENSE HIS DATA (Version 1)

This is an interesting document and the first time that I have seen *anybody*, including past and present members of OSMF board, draft such a detailed "code of conduct" if you will.

There are some ideas in there that I would agreee with, maybe in a slightly softer wording, and I would hope that TimSC either stands for election to the board or becomes a member of the AoA group that is also trying to lay down some rules for the future of OSMF.

It is unfortunate that TimSC tries to make OSMF reform a condition of his agreement to relicense his contribution. This is of course totally out of the question, and it is sad because even the good ideas in the document are tarnished by this attempt at coercion. One could almost say that now, even if OSMF were to implement some of the usable ideas in that document, they would forever have to defend themselves against the notion that they sold out just to keep a minuscle amount of data (data that is, if RichardF is to be believed, not even universally welcomed by other mappers on the ground).

I suggest that TimSC's attempt at "negotiation" be categorically rejected without further ado; he should be treated exactly the same as any other mapper and if he doesn't reconsider then his contributions will have to be removed and, where desirable, remapped. No single individual can possibly have made a contribution that should allow them to, without even being elected, exert such influence on OSMF.

(If TimSC is granted special treatment because of his personal contribution, then what even more special treatment would we have to afford entities like AND, Yahoo, or Bing who have done a lot for us?)

At the same time, and even though this may sound conflicting, an effort should be made to involve TimSC in AoA discussions, or he should be encouraged to stand for election to the board, because <see first two paragraphs>.