On 18 June 2011 19:22, Francis Davey <fjm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tiles are clearly *maps* and so protected as artistic works under
> article 2(1) of the Berne Convention and therefore (one hopes) in
> every country which is a signatory to Berne which includes the US and
> the EU. What you can do with tiles will depend on how OSMF chooses to
> licence the OSM.

Well one assumption I'm making is that everyone is adhering to the
license restrictions placed on them, perhaps this would be easiler
with a solid example.

OSM-F continues to distribute map tiles under a CC-by-SA license and
for the purpose of this example doesn't have a terms and condition
using their website.

Someone from the US comes along and derives some data from the tiles
OSM-F produces.

That same someone then distributes the resulting data under a CC-by-SA license.

At any point is anyone in breach of copyright?