Hi,

On 11/28/11 11:58, 80n wrote:
That's a very fine line you are trying to draw.

Yes, I agree it is difficult. I think that it is entirely possible to arrive at an identical end product through different processes, where one process has different license implications than the other.

For example:

I could render a map from OSM and then render something else on top of it, say a commercially acquired set of hotel POIs. That would clearly be a Produced Work; I could point anyone asking for the source data to the planet file and the rendering rule, and keep the hotel POIs to myself.

I could also remove all hotels from my OSM copy and add in the commercial hotels instead, then render a map from it. Unless the commercial dataset is missing data, the resulting map could look 100% identical to the map from the first process, but this time I would be required to release the hotel dataset because it is part of the derived database used to create the produced work.

Same thing with your reply to my "pencil" example - depending on how exactly you update your produced work, you might or might not have to release a database.

I am interested in exploring this further with the aim of finding good community norms, nailing down the problem cases, and making the introduction of ODbL for OSM a success.

I will happily continue a constructive discussion if you share these goals.