Continued from a talk@osm thread, as suggested by Mikel Maron.

When I use high-resolution imagery to improve areas formerly mapped from low-resolution imagery, I change the source tag on the objects I touch - i.e. from "Yahoo low resolution satellite" to "Microsoft Bing satellite". Since my edit is correlated with a change of source, can it still be considered as a tainted derivative ?

Modifying a way mapped from low-resolution imagery to take advantage of high-resolution imagery changes it so much that the result barely takes advantage of the previous version. It does take advantage of the fact that the object exists, which makes the work somewhat easier (except maybe in dense areas where it can even make it more complicated) - is that enough to make it a derivative work unable to be migrated under the new license ? That improvement process is rather close to a remapping... Or should I just remap ?

What is the opinion the experts on legal-talk ?