Verfication would be a process of comparing my own data (lets's call
them A) with osm, likely using some automated precess, that would
output a set of locations or areas where the maps differ more than a
given threshold (dataset B).
Legally you now have three datasets A, OSM and a derivative work of
both (B). Dataset B would be used as a to-do list to resurvey or
reimport data from other sources than OSM. OSM data is not copied, but
were used for verification.
This should actually be completely legal now - derivatives works are
allowed, if not published no specific licence character is required.
Actual data for updating is taken from somewhere else.

If the clause is added that data verification requires publication
under free/open licence, it would actually tighten the licence, since
I highly doubt that independently acquired data on places where maps
differ could be treated as derivative work.

LM_1