Hi,

On 22.07.2012 00:22, Paul Norman wrote:
If CC4 comes out with such indiscrimante inclusion of database rights
then my guess is that it will either be automatically impossible to
licene Produced Works under CC, or we will have to explicitly disallow
it.

I'm not sure who you mean by we in that statement. If ODbL allowed produced
works under CC4 the only people who could disallow it would be ODC with a
license upgrade. OSMF couldn't stop produced works under CC4 licenses.

The release of Produced Works under a CC license including database rights, and with that the danger of a complete and systematic reverse engineering under a CC license, would undermine one of the pillars of ODbL - the requirement to share a database from which Produced Works are made. I would estimate that ODC have something against that, and would react in some way.

I don't know if the issue would be a big problem for us. It's possible that we just say: "Oh well, if you think you need our data under CC4 then here you go." - we could even choose to dual-license at the source. That would weaken our share-alike quite a bit as everyone would use the license that requires them to share the least. A routing web site that operates on a clever enhanced routing tree would choose CC-BY-SA so they only have to release individual results and not the whole database; a publisher would choose ODbL so that they only have to release the database but not allow copying of the map.

If we wanted to stop it, then the following actions could be possible:

* lean on ODC to release new anti-Produced-Works-with-database-rights license;

* execute CT license change procedure to change to homemade ODbL-with-extras license;

* define that anything allowing the automated re-extraction of our data with less than x% precision loss is a derivative database and never a produced work