I was looking through the archives for some discussion about the NextView
license but I couldn't find any in the mailing lists or wiki.

This data is licensed for use by the US Government (USG) under the NextView
(NV) license and copyrighted by Digital Globe or GeoEye. The NV license
allows the USG to share the imagery and Literal Imagery Derived Products
(LIDP) with entities outside the USG when that entity is working directly
with the USG, for the USG, or in a manner that is directly beneficial to the
USG. The party receiving the data can only use the imagery or LIDP for the
original purpose or only as otherwise agreed to by the USG. The party
receiving the data cannot share the imagery or LIDP with a third party
without express permission from the USG. At no time should this imagery or
LIDP be used for other than USG-related purposes and must not be used for
commercial gain. The copyright information should be maintained at all
times. Your acceptance of these license terms is implied by your use.

Has this license received any review?

Tracings would not be a LIDP, it would be a non-literal product. I do not
see a clear license to create derivative works and distribute them,
including for commercial gain.

If there is some letter of understanding between HOT and Digital Globe or
GeoEye, could it be posted?