More specifically, I got advice from le...@osmfoundation.org stating that the
licence was more restrictive than the ODbL, and thus could not be used as is.

I am quite unsure if I should cite the email I received from them, but I will
take the risk for the sake of the current discussion. I have been told, about
the licence from Montréal, that "the attribution requirements itself (Point 4)
are more restrictive than those from ODbL. You should there approach the data
owners and seek the permission."

As I do not know exactly what is more restrictive in the licence than the ODbL,
I am left to interpretation. That is why I am asking for help here.

My best interpretation of the problem concerns points 4.2 and 4.3 (roughly
translated here: see the original at
http://donnees.ville.montreal.qc.ca/licence/licence-texte-complet/ ) :

Point 4.2 - - - - - - -

4.2: If a Value Added Product contains Data [from the city], then you must
include the following statement on this Product :
   This product contains data provided "as is" under license under the terms of
the current agreement. The granting of this license does not mean an
approbation of the product by the City of Montréal.

The problem I see with this point is the definition of a Valud Added Product:

1.4: "Value Added Product" means any product, system, device, hardware or
software made by you or for you in the exercise of your rights under the terms
of the present agreement.

My understanding is that the tiles generated by OpenStreetMap falls into this
"Value Added Product" definition, and that to respect the license, the
statement would have to be printed on the map.

I am misreading the license?

Also, there is point 4.3.

Point 4.3 - - - - - - -

4.3 The following elements are forbidden from reproduction […] on any place:
4.3.1 [any official city symbol]
4.3.2 [any statement that would leave to interpretation that you have an
exclusive distribution deal over the data or that you have had access to
confidential data]

Can this be respected through ODbL?

Thanks,

Guillaume Pratte