I have a question regarding a research project I and my colleague are working
on at Oklahoma State University.  We are working with a dataset of terrorist
events that contains location data such as "city name, administrative/state
name, country name".  We are planning on geocoding the dataset with the
MapQuest Open Geocoding API Web Service, which uses the OpenStreetMap data.
The Global Terrorism Database (http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/) we are using
contains approximately 70,000 events (although many are duplicates in terms of
location) that will be geocoded (i.e. associated with latitude, longitude, etc.
from the OpenStreetMap data).  My question pertains to the license we are
allowed to use when distributing our replication data, which would contain
within it some data drawn from the OpenStreetMap data (i.e. latitude and
longitude).  As this is an academic project we hope to publish, we want to make
our data available to others for easy analysis and replication, etc.  Do we
have the ability to assign our own license to this replication data, or will we
have to release the replication data under the ODC Open Database License?

Also, is there anything else that you would like researchers to do when
publishing work using the OpenStreetMap data, such as using a particular
citation, notifying the OpenStreetMap Foundation when a work is published that
used OpenStreetMap data, etc.?

Peter Rudloff