Andrew, I am not a member of the LWG, but insofar as:

- questions regarding CC-BY 3.0's compatibility with ODbL hinge on the
impracticality of downstream compliance with the license's attribution
requirements in a geo context
- the rightsholder has made it clear that they understand downstream
attribution requirements to be unreasonable in many cases, and don't
believe the obligation should apply in those cases
- the rightsholder has made it clear what attribution they wish to receive,
and it's obviously within OSM's power to comply with those wishes

I think this looks like a pretty good chance to incorporate some valuable
open data.