Hi Christoph,

What is done here is combining road information (and some other data)
> from OSM and proprietary data sources (Google) into a raster map (made
> available as 'friction surface' under the first link above) and doing
> further processing, analysis and map rendering based on that and
> publishing the result.

I don't have access to the locked Nature article, but the description from
the first link suggests that they are using a derivative statistic
calculated from the Google road network instead of the network itself:
"The game-changing improvement underpinning this work is the first-ever,
global-scale synthesis of two leading roads datasets – Open Street Map
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/> (OSM) data and distance-to-roads data
derived from the Google roads database
<https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/roads/intro>..."
"Distance-to-roads data" sounds like a data type that is not in OSM (they
might have been able to calculate it from OSM, but evidently chose not to),
which would be an example of non-sharealike use under the Collective
Database Guideline:

   - the non-OSM data adds a particular type of geometry or data for a
   primary feature that was not already present within a regional cut, and the
   added feature data includes no OSM data

The map itself and the visualizations on top of it would appear to be
Produced Works, so also not subject to sharealike.

(And frankly, I can't see Google cooperating with this project if there
were sharealike implications for their proprietary data, so I have to
assume that their lawyers vetted the use and confirmed they datasets were
used together as a Collective Database.)

-Kathleen