sent from a phone

> On 11. Jul 2019, at 20:23, Kathleen Lu <kathleen...@mapbox.com> wrote:
>
> "Substantial investment" may not be a black and white standard, but it is a
> meaningful one. I hypothesize that Tesco would have difficulty proving "a
> substantial investment in either the obtaining, verification or presentation
> of the contents." (Note that investment in creating/setting the hours does
> not count.)

It may have come along as sarcasm the way I have written it, but the idea is
actually appealing: significant investment wrt the database could eventually be
dismissed for those databases, which are more or less the result of some
related operation/work, a byproduct, rather than being set up to gather and
analyze data without being required in the operation. The investment would be
the operation, while the db as a byproduct would be almost “free”. The
OpenStreetMap database would still be protected under perspective, but a lot of
databases would not be protected automatically any more.

The maps the GIS department releases are definitely requiring a significant
investment, but the lists of streets a municipality releases would probably not
be covered by the sui generis rule because there is not much specific
investment behind such a compilation, it is a byproduct of their operation as a
public administration. Or the post code lists of the postal service: the effort
is not specifically put into the db, they only have to print what they already
know from planning and organizing the postal service.

Is there already case law with examples where a claimed significant investment
has been rejected? I would suspect that almost any database could be seen as
having required a lot of investment for the creation and updates, or not,
according to how you put it.

From a practical point of view I agree I would not be worried about copying
opening hours (or addresses, or phone numbers) from a retail company’s website,
e.g. Tesco. It’s more likely they would pay you for this than sue you.

Cheers Martin