This is an Early 2008 17” MacBook Pro. This is the very best non-unibody
MacBook Pro (basically identical to the Late 2008 17"). The computer works
great, I’ve kept an eye out for the notorious graphics issues after losing
a previous machine and have never seen a single sign of trouble (I’ve also
been sure to keep the fans on relatively high to avoid any overheating, and
the thermal paste was replaced in 2015).

The backlight stopped working a while back, which I mistakenly thought
was the logic board, but after reseating the display cable it’s been
working perfectly and I haven’t had any backlight issues in over a month
now. Unfortunately I had already bought a replacement computer before I
discovered how to fix the backlight problem. I don’t need two MacBook Pros,
so I figure it’s time to sell this one.

Specs:

   - 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo processor (the fastest available on this model)
   - High-resolution (1920x1200) LED-backlit matte display
   - 6GB of RAM (the maximum this computer can take)
   - 240GB SSD
   - SuperDrive (12.7mm IDE, can be upgraded to Blu-Ray)
   - 3 USB 2.0 ports
   - 2 FireWire ports (one 400 and one 800)
   - Separate 3.5mm audio in and out (analog/optical combo ports)
   - Gigabit ethernet
   - ExpressCard 34 slot (I’ve been using this with a USB 3.0 card, it's
   not quite as fast as native USB 3.0 but it’s way faster than USB 2.0 or
   even FireWire 800)
   - Kensington lock slot
   - IR receiver for Apple Remote
   - Four stereo speakers with "subwoofers" (these are probably the best
   speakers Apple ever put into a laptop, compared side-by-side with a unibody
   17” the 2008’s speakers are louder, clearer, and have much better bass)
   - Multi-touch trackpad (fully compatible with all OS X gestures,
   including four-finger gestures)
   - Backlit keyboard (nice and bright)
   - Good battery (cycle count is about 770, but total capacity is ~5500mAh
   or a little under 90% of original capacity. It regularly lasts 2-4 hours in
   my experience)

The bad:

   - There is a dent in the front left corner. This is purely cosmetic
   (there are no components inside the computer where the dent is and it
   doesn’t affect case/screw alignment) but it is pretty prominent. It may be
   possible to repair it with the right tools, but I just left it as-is. There
   are also some minor scuffs/scratches and other cosmetic imperfections here
   and there, and the rubber feet are missing. I can send plenty of pictures
   so you know exactly what to expect.
   - There are some VERY faint imperfections around the top and side edges
   of the LCD panel (extending inward maybe an inch at the farthest, no more
   than a half inch in most places). I’m not really sure what they are, as
   they don’t really look like bruises, but I can send pictures. The center
   ~95% of the screen is great with no bruises, scratches, or other
   imperfections, and when running most applications these spots are hidden by
   menus/palates (they are only really visible at all when the screen is all
   one color).
   - The DVI port is iffy. It sometimes works fine, but other times it
   doesn’t want to work at all or it works at first and then the signal drops
   out. It seems to be more reliable when using a VGA or HDMI adapter, but it
   still won’t necessarily work 100% of the time. The computer always sees the
   monitor even when the picture won’t show up, and wiggling the cable/adapter
   does seem to help sometimes (which makes me think the port may just need to
   be resoldered, but I don't know for sure). Just to be safe consider the DVI
   port to be non-working, do not buy this computer if external video is a
   necessity.

I’ve been using this machine with Mavericks, but it will also run Yosemite
and El Capitan very well. I can install whichever of those three you'd
prefer before shipping (it will also run Snow Leopard, but you’ll need your
own install disc for that). I’ll also include a third-party 85w MagSafe
adapter.

I’m looking to get $400 (which includes insured priority shipping to the
USA) but I am certainly open to offers. I only accept PayPal, unless you
are able to meet locally (Houston) in which case I would accept cash and
offer a $20 discount.

I would also consider a whole or partial trade, especially for one or more
of the following items:

   - Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1. I know this is a long shot but I’d want to do a
   straight trade, preferably in the Houston area to avoid shipping. Any
   processor configuration would be fine, I wouldn’t need a hard drive, RAM,
   optical drive, or video card, and I’d be fine with a beat up case, missing
   door, or other minor issues as long as all the main parts work. There's
   also a chance I might be interested in a 5,1 that needs parts/repair, but
   I'd prefer a working system.
   - "Project" unibody MacBook Pro, any speed, either 13” or 15”. Screen,
   battery, RAM, hard drive, keyboard, and trackpad do not need to be working
   or even present, and the case can be banged up, but the fundamental
   components should still work (specifically the logic board). Since this is
   just for a side project that I may never finish I don't need anything too
   powerful/valuable, so I’d only want to do a partial trade for one of these.
   - MacBook Air (low-end model, any size/generation). This would just be a
   secondary backup laptop, so again I’d only be looking to do a partial trade
   in this case, nothing too fancy or valuable. I’d consider a machine that
   needs minor work (like a dead battery), but I’m not looking for something
   that will take a lot to get running.
   - 23" or 30" Apple Cinema Display (preferably 2005 revision or newer)
   - Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter (must specifically be
   dual-link, but brand and cosmetic condition are unimportant).
   - slot-loading 9.5mm SATA Blu-Ray burner
   - 16gb of PC3-12800 laptop RAM
   - Certain older/vintage Macs

Those are just a few of things I'm looking for at the moment, if there's
something else you want to trade that I didn't list it's definitely worth
asking.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, and I can send tons of
pictures.

Steven Fowler
eBay ID: obi1kenobi1 (100% positive)
Houston, TX 77083

See the list FAQ http://lowendmac.com/lists/swap.html for guidelines on
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LEM
Swap" group.
to lemswap+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.