The short: I'm offering—for parts or repair—a Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro
with dead discrete graphics card and dent in the lower left corner of
unibody housing. Battery—when the machine was working—held a good charge.
Does not include RAM or HDD.

The (slightly) longer: This is a 8,3 model—the last of the 17" MacBook
Pros—which was bought new back in 2012. Also one of the last Apple
notebooks that you could specify with a matte screen (which this one has).

With the exception of some case deformation on the lower left of the
machine—the result of an accidental drop several years back—this machine is
physically in good shape.

The one big ailment is that the discrete graphics chip decided that it was
done after 5 years and gave up the ghost back in February 2017. Apple
actually had a repair program going for this very issue, but unfortunately
it only lasted until December 2016. I took it into an Apple store when the
chip died and they quoted $825 for a logic board replacement, which used to
be pretty competitive, but since then logic board prices have gone down by
about half. Alternatively I read that some people have cranked their home
ovens up and popped in the logic board in order to re-flow the GPU solder
(not at all something I'd advocate, personally).

Selling for $50 in the hopes that someone will take on the challenge of
putting a new logic board in this machine and breathe some new life into
it. The screen size—even at a standard, non-Retina resolution—is still
amazing and great to work with.

Shipped via USPS Priority Mail. For those in the NYC area I can also do a
face-to-face transaction in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Happy to send photos
upon request or answer any questions.

Jack Curry
Brooklyn, New York 11249