Forwarded from Michael Lebowitz
--

At 12:23 PM 5/27/2001 -0700, you wrote:

A brief note of mine:

In the beginning of the  "Grundrisse der Kritik der Politischen
Oekonomie" (1857/1858) Marx despises the concept of civil society as an
irrevocable construction of the  XVIII th century.   So, civil society
should be bound, in the Marxian view,  to the social infrastructure, what
would rend the expression useless, a remnant of the XVIII th century
political thought.

--------------
hmm. I've tended to see the passage as one where Marx 'situates the
concept....', which seems sufficient to explain what he is up to. It obviously
has a different meaning for Gramsci, though, so it seems appropriate (and
dialectical) that it be transformed in the retranslation.
        Thanks. I haven't been keeping up.

        cheers,
            mike

Michael A. Lebowitz