We have a large Sikh community in our metropolitan area (Sacramento).  A
local racist has decided that Sikhs are the same as bin Laden so he drove his
tractor into the local temple's sacred pond.  Responsible people are trying
to head this crap off.  An Islamic and a Sikh leader came to speak at our
Central Labor Council.
We have had trouble of this sort before with a local rock station disk jockey
calling Middle Easterners "camel jockeys" and I had to chew out a Chicano
neighbor who thought that yelling "towel head" at strangers on the street was
amusing.
We have a Unity Council made up of local community leaders and elected
government officials.  These include a very eloquent spokesperson from the
Middle Eastern Islamic community who attend these meetings and speaks at its
public events.  We have had unity rallies at the State capital and building
days to repair 2 of our local synagogues which had been damaged by racist
firebombings.  We are also trying to deal with the racial profiling actions
by our local police and the worse practice by our sheriff department.  We had
to deal with anti-Asian and antigay remarks made by one of our professional
basketball players and tried to prevent anti-Asian backlash after the release
of the move, Pearl Harbor.