http://hamilton.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=508

Independent Media Centre

Evil Empire - Innocent Citizens

By Maruthaiyan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I belong to the uncivilized part of the world. I am not
ashamed to conceal the fact that my first reaction on seeing
the destruction of Pentagon and WTC Towers was jubilation.
For that matter, it was the reaction of the overwhelming
majority of our people. The mighty power on earth was
slapped on it's face!

But, when we witnessed the T.V. images of people jumping
from the towers, wailing women and people running for their
lives.... we really felt bad. Especially, when we realized
that a sizable section of the people killed were ordinary
workers, we were back to our senses.

Because you know, we are not civilized enough to watch this
horror in the T.V. Screen, munching Chocolates and sipping
Coke, as America did during the "Operation - Desert Storm".

First it was "Terror on America"; Then "War on America"; Now
it is "America's new War". U.S. Marines and F.B.I. sleuths
are landing in Pakistan. Standing in the midst of rubbles,
putting his arms around the shoulder of a fireman, American
President declares War. It reminds me of the Hollywood Trash
"Independence Day". But the reality is far more vulgar than
the illusion. I am surprised to see that the civilized
people of America are politically more naive than the
illiterate peasants of India.

Now America is seething with Anger. The Anger is caused not
by the loss of lives. It's the indignation to the "Great
Nation". America wants Retribution. Immediate Retribution.
The Empire Strikes Back! It need not care for the
international law. It need not place the evidence before the
world. It need not approach the U.N. `cause U.N. after all
is a confederacy of the Empire.

Even Hitler had to hold a mock trial against the Communists
falsely accused of torching the German Parliament. But Mr.
Bush has no time for such trivialities. The Emperor need not
prove his democratic credentials to anybody.

The Empire says that Osama Bin Laden is the suspect. Means
that the Empire does not possess any hardcore evidence to
reveal. Still, it has the right not only to kill the
suspect, but also to punish all those who gave him food and
shelter. The fact that the `Evil' itself was created by the
`Good' is not relevant here. All Evil is Good when it serves
the Empire. Saddam is fine when he remains an instrument to
attack Iran. Noriego's drug is fine until he defies the
Empire.

Thus when the Empire so desires it will bomb any country. In
1986 it bombed Libya and killed unknown number of people
including Gadaffi's child. It was a retribution for a bomb
blast in a Berlin's Discotheque in which two American
Marines died. Involvement of Libyan Govt. in the blast is
yet to be proved. But Retribution over.

In 1998, a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan was bombed.
Number of deaths unknown. The factory was accused of
manufacturing chemical weapons for Terrorists. The owner is
sewing the U.S. now. The accusation against the factory is
yet to be proved. But Retribution over.

The body count of the people killed by the Empire throughout
the World may run into millions. May be, it is Un-American
to probe into the loss of Non-American lives.

We also lost more than 5000 Indian lives in a day, way back
in 1984 at Bhopal. 5000 dead and more than 100,000 paralyzed
for life. The American TNC Union Carbide, responsible for
the killing said, "It was a gas leak - just an accident".
The real leakage was a military secret. A secret research on
chemical weapons for the Pentagon.

The prime accused was Mr. Anderson, the president of Union
Carbide. There was a criminal case; There was a warrant; But
he was happily ensconced at his corporate headquarters. We
could not "smoke him out of his hole". Not because Mr.
Anderson was not a terrorist; but because India is not
America.

Also the U.S. Supreme Court proclaims Jurisdiction over
`criminals' abducted from other countries by the U.S.
Police. Sanction for the infringement of the sovereignty of
nations and sanction for the corporate terror by Bill Gates
comes from the same judiciary. The Judiciary of the Empire.

At least, the citizens of Bhopal could have killed a couple
of American tourists as Retribution. But even to kill people
like that, you have to feel indignant. For that you should
have at least `a drop of civilized blood' - to use Colin
Powell's phrase - In your veins. "The purple American fury"
as Lance Morrow states in TIME special issue, now attacks
Asian Americans. What really is the colour of American Fury?
Purple or White?

Whenever we are asked to mourn for the killing of innocents,
we readily mourn. But, are people really innocent? Are they
really ignorant of all the happenings around them?

When asked about the death of half a million Iraqi children
due to American sanctions, Ms. Madeline Albreight replied:
"The price worth paying". If the Iraqi children - the real
innocents - should pay the price for Saddam's alleged
crimes, and if this is what is called American Justice, then
the price America paid is also justified.

But, it is altogether another question whether the price is
worth paying. If you ask Ms. Albreight, she will readily say
that the price is worth paying in the interest of the
American Global Hegemony.

"Operation Infinite Justice" will pull America into a
bottomless pit, where `innocent' Americans may have to feel
Fascism from inside and face Terrorism from outside.

People of America!

Shed your innocence. Raise your head and see the debris
`created' by your Empire throughout the world.

Shed your `innocence'. Else, America may have to shed the
lives of many more innocents.

Sadly, this is History.

--

Maruthaiyan is the Editor of Puthiya Kalacharam - a
Marxist-Leninist cultural magazine published in the language

Copyright (c) 2001 Maruthaiyan. All Rights Reserved.