I was quite startled to see Zyuganov laying a wreath on Stalin's grave.

What do "Russia watchers" here think of that?

Macdonald

-----
CNN. 21 December 2001. Stalin's birth marked in home town.

GORI, Georgia - The 122nd anniversary of the birth of former Soviet
leader Josef Stalin as been celebrated in his Georgian home town.

About 1,000 supporters of Stalin gathered on Friday in Gori, waving
Soviet flags and bearing portraits him as they walked from his home, now
a museum, to the Stalin monument in the town centre.

One banner read "Under the banner of Stalin, together with Russia!"

Georgiy Goriashvili, an 86-year-old decorated World War II veteran, told
The Associated Press: "Under Stalin we lived so well, we were proud of
our country. We were victors, together with the Americans and the
British we beat the fascists. We were equals."

Many of the speakers who addressed the rally called for the removal from
office of Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze.

"What kind of president is he when children are going hungry and the
country is falling apart?" said Panteleymon Georgadze, the head of the
Georgian Communist Party.

Critics accuse Shevardnadze, a reform-oriented Soviet foreign minister
under former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, of failing to stem
corruption or improve Georgia's economy.

He also has been facing pressure from the breakaway region of Abkhazia,
separatists in South Ossetia, and from Russia, which accuses Georgia of
harbouring rebels fighting Russian troops in neighbouring Chechnya.

"If we don't make peace with Russia, nothing will remain of our
country," said Vakhtang Goguadze, a former parliamentary speaker who now
heads the Georgian-Russian Friendship Association.

In Moscow, Russian Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov laid a wreath by
Stalin's grave in the Kremlin wall.
In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht