Reuters. 10 January 2002. Venezuela's Chavez Says to Leave Presidential
Palace.

CARACAS -- The hearts of President Hugo Chavez's vociferous critics must
have leapt as he announced his departure from the historic Miraflores
presidential palace.

But the outspoken former-paratrooper, who is due to serve as president
of the world's No. 4 oil exporter until 2007, quickly frustrated his
opponents by clarifying he was leaving the 19th century mansion so a
university could be set up there.

"I am going from Miraflores," said the 47-year-old president in a speech
late on Wednesday, adding "I leave it to the children, for the birth of
a Popular Bolivarian University."

Chavez, who has renamed his South American country the Bolivarian
Republic of Venezuela in honor of 19th century independence hero Simon
Bolivar, announced the surprise move at the swearing in of a new higher
education minister.

"I am sure my squalid opponents were elated when I said I was leaving
Miraflores," chuckled the leftist leader, whose three-year-old
"revolution" has deepened [read: revealed] class divisions in his
dilapidated but oil-rich republic.

The palace, which was built by former dictator Joaquin Crespo and bought
by the government in 1911, "has fulfilled its mission," Chavez said.

Standing at the center of Caracas' long valley, which is home to some 5
million inhabitants, the Miraflores palace is flanked by a huge army
barracks.

"Later on I will tell you where I am going to move," Chavez said.
In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht