URL for this article: http://emperors-clothes.com/analysis/cooper.htm

Join our email list at http://emperors-clothes.com/f.htm. Receive about one
article/day.

This article may be reproduced in any non-commercial medium but please
include the entire text and the URL. For commercial use contact Emperor's
Clothes.

www.tenc.net * [Emperor's Clothes]
=======================================
BLAIR'S BRITAIN WANTS A RETURN TO 'AGE OF EMPIRE'
by Rashmee Z. Ahmed
TIMES OF INDIA, 28 March 2002
With comments by Jared Israel
[Posted 1 April 2002]
=======================================

A FEW THOUGHTS...

Robert Cooper is a top foreign policy advisor to British Prime Minister Tony
Blair. Indeed, he was Britain's man at the Bonn meeting that set up the new
Afghan government.

This powerful member of the foreign policy establishment recently wrote a
pamphlet with a forward by Prime Minister Blair. The pamphlet has caused
quite a stir because in it, speaking too openly, Cooper makes the following
argument:

"Just like in the old empire, Western countries would have to deal with
'old-fashioned states outside the postmodern continent of Europe with the
rougher methods of an earlier era - force, pre-emptive attack, deception,
whatever is necessary to deal with those who still live in the nineteenth
century...'"

So let's get this straight. Is Cooper saying that in "the old empire" in the
19th century the West had to contend with outrageous and aggressive behavior
by peoples in other lands? Is that the idea?

What splendid doubletalk. Worthy of George Orwell.

Was it China which, in the 19th century, invaded Britain to force the British
government to accept imported opium which was poisoning the British
population? (After Britain won a glorious victory in the Opium Wars, thus
forcing China to enrich British merchants at the expense of the Chinese
population's health, the US and France demanded and got from China the same
right to import the poisonous stuff. Vast fortunes were built on this
gangster trade.) (1)

Was it Congo that took over the territory of Belgium and slaughtered ten
million residents? (The public justification was religion. The real reason:
to steal Congo's ivory and rubber.) (2)

Was it the Philippines that conquered the US (to save it from Spain, of
course) or the American Indians who slaughtered most of the white population
and then banished the rest to barren lands? (7)

Was it Afghanistan that three times waged colonial wars on British soil in
what it called a "Great Game" to use the strategically located British Isles
as a strategic base for the control of Europe?

And as for the current period:

* When the British government publicly claimed to oppose Slovenia's violent
secession from Yugoslavia, while privately shipping the secessionists 5
million pounds worth of military communications equipment, was that not
"deception"? (3)

* What has the bombing and economic strangulation of Iraq for the past decade
by the US and Britain amounted to, if not a continuous "pre-emptive strike"?
And why have the US, Britain and Germany got Russia entirely surrounded now,
with former Soviet Republics taking part in NATO war games and US or NATO
troops in Georgia, Central Asia, Poland, the Baltic region and the Balkans if
not in preparation for "pre-emptive attacks" on Russia and her allies? (4)

* Did Yugoslavia commit the gravest crime possible under international law by
launching aggressive war against the territories of the US, Britain and
Germany? Did Yugoslav planes bomb schools in Berlin, oil refineries in New
Jersey, hospitals in London or auto factories in Detroit? For that matter,
did Yugoslavia attack any other country? Ever? (8)

* Did Afghanistan recently team up with the US and other countries to bomb
and invade England, including London, following which illegal attack Robert
Cooper, a top adviser to the Afghan King, helped set up a new "independent"
British government in London?

* And regarding Robert Cooper's amazing remark that one standard should be
applied when dealing with the "post-modern" West and another when dealing
with the "pre-modern" rest, let me ask this: When Blair's former Foreign
Secretary, Robin Cooke, told the Western public the outright lie that during
Slobodan Milosevic's Martin Luther King-type speech in Kosovo in June 1989,
Milosevic spread "ethnic hatred under the cloak of nationalism" - when Cooke
told this lie, was he not following the dictates of the earliest and perhaps
greatest theoretician of postmodernism? (5)

I am speaking here of course of Mr. Humpty Dumpty, who was quoted, (back in
the 19th century) in the book, 'Through the Looking Glass,' (chapter 6) as
follows:

"'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it
means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'"

Challenged with the response, 'The question is whether you can make words
mean so many different things,' Mr. Dumpty replied as follows:

"'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which [of us] is to be master --
that's all.' (6)

And the same holds true regarding Mr. Cooper's doubletalk. His real point is:
the US, England and Germany are to be master. Just as they were in the 19th
century.

That's all.

-- Jared Israel

BLAIR'S BRITAIN WANTS A RETURN TO 'AGE OF EMPIRE'

by Rashmee Z. Ahmed

Reprinted from TIMES NEWS NETWORK [THURSDAY, MARCH 28, 2002 10:01:29 PM]

LONDON

Tony Blair has provoked alarm and concern within his own party and in several
Western capitals by allowing his chief foreign policy advisor to call for a
"new imperialism" to re-order the post-September 11 world.

The call for a "defensive imperialism", with Western countries, particularly
Britain and the European Union intervening abroad to restore order, comes in
a pamphlet that has a foreword by Blair himself.

Blair's advisor, Robert Cooper, who represented the British government at the
Bonn talks that produced the interim Hamid Karzai administration in
Afghanistan, is known to have heavily influenced the British prime minister's
foreign policy thinking.

Just three months ago, Blair used the high-tech, but hugely symbolic venue of
Bangalore in the former British Raj to speak of his vision for Britain as a
"force for good in the world".

Cooper, who argues for a "post-modern" apartheid-like duality of laws and
systems to deal with "ourselves and the premodern world", says the West will
have to employ "double standards".

He said that like the old empire, Western countries would have to deal with
"old-fashioned states outside the postmodern continent of Europe with the
rougher methods of an earlier era - force, pre-emptive attack, deception,
whatever is necessary to deal with those who still live in the nineteenth
century..."

The pamphlet, which contains a thoughtful essay on Hindu, Muslim and
Christian identity by Amartya Sen, is published by the Foreign Policy Centre,
set up by Blair and of which he remains the patron.

The document continues a theme that analysts describe as increasing
assertiveness by the British government.

Just 48 hours ago, British foreign secretary Jack Straw declared that "the UK
is not a superpower, but we have continuously shown that we play a pivotal
role. We can - and do - make a big difference. Our challenge is to stave off
the Afghanistans of the future".

Straw's comments came soon after Geoff Hoon, the defence minister, warned
that the UK would not flinch from retaliatory nuclear strikes against
Baghdad.

Even as commentators expressed surprise and alarm at the very public
neo-imperial ambitions of Blair's Britain, sections of his own party
dismissed the prime minister's foreign policy advisor as a maniac.

One outspoken MP, opposed to widening the war on terror to include Iraq,
suggested that "the Russian Tsarina was better advised by Rasputin than the
Prime Minister is by this maniac. To claim that the need for colonialism may
be as great as in Victorian times is extraordinary".

But a spokesman for the Foreign Policy Centre told this paper the call for a
new Western imperialism may have been "misread".

(c)opyright Times of India 2002. Reprinted for fair use only.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Articleshow.asp?art_id=5191650

***********************
Further Reading:
***********************

(1) You can read about the Opium Wars at
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/heroin/opiwar1.htm

(2) On the genocide of 10 million in Congo, see 'Eyewitness To Hell,' at
http://emperors-clothes.com/analysis/russell.htm

(3) When Slovenia and Croatia threatened to secede from Yugoslavia in 1991,
the British Foreign Office publicly called for maintaining the integrity of
Yugoslav borders. But the covert policy was quite different, as demonstrated
by one piece of that policy which has been brought out in the open. Reports
the London Guardian: "Eight days before Slovenia became the first area to
break from the unified Yugoslavia in 1991, a British firm delivered
communications equipment to the Slovenian forces to help them fight the
Serb-led Yugoslav army. The revelation that this deal was approved by the
Conservative Government will embarrass former Foreign Secretary Douglas
Hurd." (Guardian, May 28, 2000, British deal fuelled Balkan war by Blaz Zgaga
and Antony Barnett)
http://google.com/search?q=cache:eHxhMl2XkMEC:www.guardianKosovo.co.uk//Story/

0,2763,319362,00.html+%22Eight+days+before+Slovenia+became%22&hl=en

This military equipment sale, which you will note took place with government
approval, told the Slovenians: pay no attention to our protests. Go ahead and
secede.

(4) Regarding the encirclement of Russia, see 'Why Does Washington Want
Afghanistan?' by Jared Israel, Rick Rozoff and Nico Varkevisser at
http://emperors-clothes.com/analysis/afghan.htm

(5) Slobodan Milosevic's 1989 speech at Kosovo Fields was very important at
the time. As you will see when you read it at
http://emperors-clothes.com/milo/milosaid.html
Milosevic celebrates the Serbs' refusal to accept mistreatment and, at the
same time, he calls on all ethnic groups to fight for multiethnic unity. In
fact he says multiethnic unity is the strength of Serbia and a requirement
for Yugoslavia's survival. That is why I call it a 'Martin Luther King-type
speech.'

But don't take my word. Read the speech. And read Professor Francisco
Gil-White's article which proves, in case after case, that the mainstream
media has deliberately lied about the speech, just the way British Foreign
Secretary Robin Cooke lied about it.

To read Professor Gil-White's article, 'Media Misrepresentation of
Milosevic's Words: A Review of the Evidence,' go to
http://emperors-clothes.com/milo/gw.htm

(6) FOOT-IN-MOUTH DEPARTMENT.
Here's an excerpt from a (London) DAILY MAIL article about Mr. Cooper's
pamphlet on foreign policy:

DAILY MAIL (London)
March 29, 2002 Pg. 37
The new colonialism; Blair aide calls for return to the empire
By Graeme Wilson

ONE of Tony Blair's key advisers sparked outrage yesterday by calling for a
new era of imperialism.

Foreign Office mandarin Robert Cooper said a form of colonialism was needed
to bring order to an unstable world.

This colonialism, modelled on the Roman Empire and the EU, could offer
citizens 'some of its laws, some of its coins and the occasional road', he
said. The civil servant, who has been seconded to Downing Street to advise
the Prime Minister on foreign policy, said the threat of global terrorism
could force the West to respond with 'defensive imperialism'.

His comments were greeted with anger and astonishment by Labour backbenchers,
who argued that colonialism involved 'invasion, occupation and pillaging
other people's wealth and assets'.

MPs have already declared their overwhelming opposition to British
involvement in a war against Iraq.

They are concerned because Mr Cooper, who represented Britain at the Bonn
talks to form Afghanistan's new government, has played a prominent role in
Downing Street since September 11.

[End excerpt from Daily Mail ]

Here's My Question: Do all these MPs really disagree with what Cooper wrote?
Or are some of them perhaps upset because they like to talk anti-imperialism
while doing imperialism (as in "humanitarian bombing") and now Mr. Cooper has
given away the Game?

(7) The great American author, Mark Twain, wrote scathingly about the US
assault on the Philippines. For links to these writings, go to
http://www.boondocksnet.com/ai/twain/

8) During the NATO bombing in spring 1999, autoworkers at the huge Zastava
Plant in Serbia occupied their factory buildings to protect the machinery
with their bodies. To find out what happened, read 'We did not believe they
would bomb us,' at
http://emperors-clothes.com/misc/car.htm

Join our email list at http://emperors-clothes.com/f.htm. Receive about one
article/day.

Click here to email the link to a friend.

This article may be reproduced in any non-commercial medium but please
include the entire text and the URL. For commercial use contact Emperor's
Clothes at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=======================================
Emperor's Clothes Urgently Needs Your Help!
=======================================

Emperor's Clothes has only one source of income - your donations. We want
everyone to read our articles, whether they can afford to contribute money or
not. But if you can contribute, please do; we urgently need the help. We are
considerably behind on all our bills - rent, utilities, long distance and
overseas telephone and Internet costs.

Since September 11 our readership has increased more than 600%. We now
transfer over 1 gigabyte of data a day. But our income has not kept up with
increasing expenses.

In order for Emperor's Clothes to continue publishing we need everyone who
can contribute to do so now.

Please send whatever contributions you can! $20, $50, $100, $500, $1000 or
more. Every penny will be used to get articles to more people.

You can make a donation using  at
https:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&no_shipping=1

You can make a credit card donation by going to our secure server at
http://emperors-clothes.com/howyour.html#donate

Or Mail a check to Emperor's Clothes, P.O. Box 610-321, Newton, MA
02461-0321. (USA)

Or make a donation by phone at the donation line, (U.S.) 617 916-1705.

We can now accept donations through e-gold. Our account # is 444982.

Note: If you mail a donation or make one by secure server, please let us know
by email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] to make sure we receive it. Thanks!

Thank you for reading Emperor's Clothes.

www.emperors-clothes.com or
www.tenc.net
[Emperor's Clothes]

This Website is mirrored at http://emperor.vwh.net/ and at