Jared;

><< That is not true.  Even the Israeli government doesn't claim that all
>  targets of suicide bombings by Palestinians are civilians. --  >>
>
>That's not much of a counter-argument,

It's not insignificant that you are taking a position _to the right_
of the Israeli government, in claiming that _all_ targets of suicide
bombings by Palestinians are civilians.  Further, discussion of
suicide bombings, as with discussion of all military tactics, should
make a proper distinction between civilians and soldiers.

>but  OK, granting that there have been
>exceptions (of which I am unaware, and which I note that you have not
>bothered to name)

See, for instance, the following websites: B'Tselem,
<http://www.btselem.org/>; and
<http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/go.asp?MFAH0i5d0>, a page maintained by
the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

>- regarding the obviously overwhelming number of terrorist
>attacks that have murdered civilians - am I to understand that you approve of
>these?

The following is from B'Tselem's statistics (I only copy the totals
here -- to see the trends, go to <http://www.btselem.org/>):

*****   Palestinians Killed in the Occupied Territories (including
East Jerusalem), since the Beginning of the Intifada (Dec. 9, 1987)
until the end of January 2002

Year    Palestinian     Palestinians    Palestinian
        civilians       security        civilians
        killed by       forces          killed by
        Israeli         personnel       Israeli
        security        killed by       civilians
        forces          Israeli
                        security
                        forces

Total-  1,965           163             126

Israelis Killed in the Occupied Territories (including East
Jerusalem), since the Beginning of the Intifada (Dec. 9, 1987) until
the end of January 2002

Year    Israeli         Israeli         Israeli
        civilians       security        security
        killed  by      forces          forces
        Palestinians    personnel       personnel
                        killed by       killed by
                        Palestinian     Palestinian
                        civilians       security
                                         forces

Total   179             109             24

In addition to the data above: Six foreign citizens were killed by
Palestinians; Nine foreign citizens were killed by Israeli security
forces.

Total Casualties in Israel from the Beginning of the Intifada (Dec.
9, 1987) untill the end of January 2002

Year    Palestinian     Palestinian     Israeli         Israeli
        civilians       civilians       civilians       security
        killed by       killed by       killed by       forces
        Israeli         Israeli         Palestinian     personnel
        security        civilians       civilians       killed by
        forces                                          Palestinian
                                                        civilians

Total   48              27              275             79

In addition to the data above: Two foreign citizens were killed by
Israeli security force personnel; 23 foreign citizens were killed by
Palestinians.   ******

As you can see above, both Israelis and Palestinians have killed
civilians _and_ more civilians than security forces personnel, but,
proportionally speaking, 57% of the Israelis killed by Palestinians
in the occupied territories are civilians, whereas *92%* of the
Palestinians killed by Israelis in the occupied territories are
civilians.  Counting the deaths in both the occupied territories and
Israel proper, 68% of the Israelis killed by Palestinians are
civilians, whereas *93%* of the Palestinians killed by Israelis are
civilians.  Looking at the trend, the murders of Israeli civilians by
Palestinians in the occupied territories reached two digits only in
the years 1992 (11), 1993-4 (38), and 2000-2002 (87); the murders of
Israeli civilians by Palestinians in Israel proper did the same in
the years 1989 (17), 1990 (13), 1994 (47), 1996 (38), 1997 (25), and
2000-2002 (98).  (The figures between parentheses are the numbers of
the dead in the years mentioned.)  Lastly, when the statistics
mention Israeli civilians, they include settlers as well.

While I do not approve of Palestinian bombings of Israeli civilians,
I also think it important to remember that the Palestinian record in
observance of laws of war looks much better than the Israeli record
(not to mention the US record) in the proportions of civilian and
military casualties.  Further, the Palestinian suicide bombings of
Israeli civilians came to outnumber only in very recent years, i.e.,
since the beginning of the 2nd Intifada.
--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>