At Thursday, 2 May 2002, you wrote:

>In a message dated 4/27/02 10:02:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, inform@left.
ru
>writes:
>
><< When a Palestinian
> bomber blows the
> enemy into pieces - and let us be clear *this enemy is the entire
> nation of Israel* for we are dealing here with
> national, and only secondarily with class oppression - he or she
> pays for this by his or her life.  This is justice. >>
>
>Diana Johnstone wrote: "Making policy by distinguishing between
"friend" and
>"enemy" peoples is pure Hitlerism."  It is also precisely the strategy
of the
>US Empire which finances both sides in the mideast conflict.

I do not know who Diana Johnson is, but judging by her name she is not
a Palestinian.  Neither am I.  So I leave it to the Palestinians
to decide who their
enemy is, who deserves to be blown to pieces and who does not.  At
least, they are the ones
who pay for their decisions. When I and my people are subjected to
what they have been in the hands
of Israeli occupiers, then I may be in the position to advise them
on these questions.

Also, I would excercise particular caution in everything even remotely
looking like chastising
the Palestinians if I were an American, especially at the very moment
when my country is working hand
in hand with Israel to prepare for the "Final Solution" of the "Palestinian
question".

Back to Diana Johnson's dictum.  Were the American Indians "Hitlerites",
when they did not distinguish
between "peaceful settlers" and the U.S. Cavalry?  If anybody at
all deserves such a comparison, Diana's ancestors
would be my first choice.  Did not they make distinction between
"human" and "not quite human" races,
 "civilized" and "primitive" peoples?  Didn't they talk about "Lebensraum"
and the "Manifest Destiny" before  Rhodes, Hitler,
and the Zionists did?  And did not their working classes, from British
trade unions to Nazi Labor Front and Histadrut settled,
fought and "pacified" aborigens all around the world?

In his Memoirs, Ilya Erenburg described one peciular problem that
the Soviet armies faced in the
opening months of  the Great Patriotic War.  Erenburg was a war correspondent
for Pravda, I believe.
He recalls one Soviet battery refusing to open fire at the column
of German infantry.  - What are you waiting for?-
Erenburg asked the young officer.  -"But look at them, they are just
workers in uniforms; they have been deceived by Hitler.
We cannot shoot at them just like this....someone must talk to them
and explain things..."--answered the leutenant.   That
generation of the Soviet people was brought up in the spirit of proletarian
internationalism and they certainly did not divide
nations into bad and good. The problem was that their internationalist
sensibility did not correspond to the objective state of
affairs.  By that time the German workers, whether in uniforms or
not, were solidly behind Hitler in the war of racial
extermination.  Racial, not class war.  Just like it was the case
in the Americas, Africa, Asia, and Australia.  In Israel this bond

between the working class and the ruling class is even stronger than
it was in Germany, because Jewish workers find
themselves in the position of "white" versus "colored" workers in
the same economy.

Another list member has already made the point about the responsibility
of the electorate in democratic countries for the policies of
elected officials.

Editor

http://www.left.ru

Workers of All Coutries, Unite!