AP. 1 August 2002. Frenchman recounts 103 days in rebel captivity in Colombia.

BOGOTA -- They knew it was risky to fly a helicopter over Colombia, but the
chopper had to be delivered from Canada to Peru, so the three men decided to
take the chance.

Now Pierre Galipon considers himself lucky to have survived a forced landing and
103 days in rebel captivity, where the Frenchman and two Canadian colleagues
were held by guerrillas he considers "very nice youth."

"We knew it was dangerous," Galipon told The Associated Press in an interview
Wednesday, a day after he was released along with Gilles Pregent, a 50-year-old
pilot from Montreal and father of four, and Jay Riddell, a mechanic from
Vancouver who turned 30 in the jungle.

Bad weather near Colombia's border with Ecuador forced them to land in
rebel-controlled territory. Within an hour, they were snatched up by members of
the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.

"We knew there was this guerrilla group fighting the government in Colombia, but
we didn't know that there are whole areas no longer under the government's
control," said Galipon, who is a partner in Bolivia-based Heliamerica, the
company that owns the helicopter.

"The FARC didn't do anything bad to us," Galipon told Caracol radio earlier in
the day.

"They detained us and explained that they had to investigate if we were members
of the CIA, or the DEA."

He said he didn't feel like he had been kidnapped, but rather simply detained
while the rebels investigated him.

One of the rebels who discovered them after they landed pulled out a gun and
said, "Let's do this one by one." The men were sure they were about to be
killed. The guerrillas were just checking them for weapons.

Galipon said the guerrillas treated them well, giving him spaghetti and French
fries to cook, he said. The rebels even found floor mats and mosquito netting,
and brought them daily rations of Coca Cola and instant coffee.

The captives were able to listen to a radio but never heard any reports on their
capture, he said. They secretly used a radio beacon they had sneaked in from the
helicopter to try to attract the attention of passing aircraft, but with no
response.

"We felt very abandoned by the Colombian government," said Galipon. So they
began to plot an escape plan. "It was very ambitious, and impossible," said
Galipon.

The morning they decided to try to escape, the guerrillas came in to tell them
they were to be released, Galipon said. The rebels allowed the three men to fly
the helicopter out of the jungle Tuesday night.

"Not only did I come out of this alive, but we also got the helicopter back," he
said. "They also gave me back the $4,500 I had in my pocket, and the equipment
in the plane."

The Canadians were not available for comment Wednesday.

Galipon doesn't hold any bitter feelings toward the FARC, though he said he
doesn't agree with their tactics.

Despite his ordeal, Galipon, who lives in Bolivia with his 15-year-old son,
still considers South America his home.

"The Canadians say they will never come back here, but I'm sure I will," he
said. ''I just have to be more careful."

In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht