----- Original Message -----
From: "tommythetraveler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> It is this weakeness of the labor movement that gives rise to fascism.
>
> I would like to hear others viws on this topic.
>

> best regards
>
> Tom Siblo

I agree with you absolutely, and as much as (obviously) I am worried about the
fascists' moves to get inside our movement and recruit there, I think the bigger
fascist threat emanates from inside the current American regime (and even more
starkly in Canada, where the "anti-terror" laws have completely removed haebus
corpus entirely, while no one seems to notice...) with their laws on civil
liberties and their casual, relaxed discussions around who/what/when/where to
bomb! I mean, really... I can't believe I'm the only one (I know I'm not, in
fact) who feels downright ill everytime these conversations just go on, all
casual, as though nothing had happened. Ashcroft and Bush are modern, smiley
fascists.

Back, however, to the "definition". I am loathe to engage in the debate for a
simple reason: By "definition" calling the current American administration
"Fascist" is wrong, and a simple use of hyperbole. So, how I usually deal with
that is that we can call it whatever we want, the times are at least if not more
dangerous than the 30's. That's the end game of the debate to me.

However, again on the technical, Tom Siblo's definition is one I like, but is
the opposite of the classical terminology of "fascist". A strong Fascist
movement- armed thugs from the lumpenproletariat, roving in violent gangs and as
a street movement-- a mobilised force of unconscious workers and petty bourgeois
elements-- typically does not happen because of the weakness of class conscious
workers, but in proportion to it's strength. Fascism, as "defined" by what we
learned of in the 20's and 30's all too well, is a mass movement *in response*
to the threat of workers to reform or transform society in a manner totally not
conducive to the interests of either finance or industrial capital. In other
words, fascism is capitalism in decline using any means neccessary to defend
itself. The reason the overtly fascistic tones of the current American
administration frighten me more than they would otherwise is totally due to how
unchallenged they are.

The old defintion of "Fascism" must be discarded to a large degree, as it
obscures rather than illuminates what is actually going on-- and therefore also
obscures how we fight it and how we turn history back on the right path. We face
a struggle at least as acute and as immediate and deadly as any people ever
have, and nothing else can change that with "definitions".

Macdonald