HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK
---------------------------

Reuters. 20 August 2002. Iraq Shows Baby Milk Store at Reported Weapons
Site.

TAJI -- Iraq showed reporters a warehouse stuffed with baby milk and
sugar on Tuesday to repudiate a U.S. newspaper report that the building
was being used to produce biological weapons.

Iraqi Trade Minister Mohammed Mehdi Saleh met international media at a
warehouse in the Taji area northwest of Baghdad, which U.S. intelligence
officials quoted in the Washington Times newspaper last week said was a
biological weapons facility.

But instead of weapons and sophisticated labs, reporters on Tuesday
found baby milk and sugar which had been bought under Iraq's
oil-for-food deal with the United Nations.

"They (Americans) are checking every movement in Iraq, but a satellite
cannot tell real information," Saleh told reporters at the site. "This
is rubbish information, actually rubbish information to convert baby
milk and baby food and sugar to weapons of mass destruction."

The Washington Times reported last week that a U.S. intelligence agency
spy satellite had photographed a convoy of about 60 trucks at the
building earlier in the month.

The Trade Ministry warehouse, which consists of three halls, on Tuesday
contained boxes of powdered milk from Yemen, Vietnam, Tunisia and
Indonesia and sacks of sugar imported from Egypt and India under the
U.N. oil-for-food programme.

"We started to move food from this warehouse to supply stores in
provinces early this month, and more specifically on August 4 as we
started to distribute food rations every two months," Saleh said.

"We have transported 2,500 tons of powdered milk in 187 trucks and not
60 trucks as the Americans said and we will continue (to do so)," he
added.

"If they enlarge the satellite photographs they can compare boxes of the
baby milk moved from this site as they were not covered and boxes here."

The warehouse, which was used to store meat before the 1991 Gulf War,
was completely destroyed during the war. It was recently rebuilt by a
French company.

Barry Stoller
http://www.utopia2000.org
The NEW ProletarianNews