----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Keaney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Families fear bitter harvest

Palestinians struggle to tend their olive crops as Israeli settlers and
soldiers pose an ever-present threat to their security and livelihoods.
Jessica McCallin reports from Nablus
The Sunday Herald, 20 October 2002

It's 2.30pm and so far, so good. No soldiers, no settlers. The olive harvest
began more than a week ago and this, October 17, is the first day the
villagers of Awarta, just south of the West Bank town of Nablus, have been
left alone to work on their trees.

With appetites satisfied after lunch, the tense calm is giving way to
joviality. Ahmed, the 60-something head of the Awad family, is putting pink
hair-clips in his donkey's mane, to the delight of his baby grand-daughter.
Then the mobile phones start going. The Abu Mahmoud family, harvesting about
half a mile up the road, closer to the illegal Israeli settlement of Itamar,
call to say they've spotted settlers coming down the hill. Normally the
family would stay in the fields until 4pm, but now they're calling it a day,
too scared of what might happen.

On October 15, settlers handcuffed and beat Badawe Awad while he was
harvesting his crops in these very same fields. He said the settlers used
the butts of their machine-guns to hit him around the head. They also
stamped on his back, set their dog on him and kicked dirt into his mouth,
nose, eyes and ears. His wife was shot in the back and leg on the same day.

The couple, parents to four young children, are badly bruised and shaken up,
but both will be okay. Badawe says it was the second time in four days that
he was attacked. On October 12, settlers handcuffed and blindfolded him and
his two brothers and drove them, in their tractor, to the local Huwara
military base. There, he says, they were beaten by the settlers and soldiers
and fined more than £200 for not having a proper licence for the tractor.
Badawe said the settlers, who also didn't have a tractor licence, were not
fined.

Last week a 24-year-old man from the neighbouring village of Akhraba was
shot dead in his fields. Last year, Israeli settlers killed two Palestinians
during the olive harvest. Nobody has been arrested for the murders.
Activists from the International Solidarity Movement (ISM), a loose-knit
organisation which brings Western civilians to the Occupied Territories in
the hope that, by their presence, they will provide an element of protection
to Palestinians in the fields, go up the road towards where the settlers
have been spotted.

I accompany them. On the way we pass around 15 to 20 members of the Abu
Mahmoud family, their donkeys laden with olives, returning to the village.

'There are at least three of them,' says Hani Abu Mahmoud. 'We saw them
coming down the hill, but then we lost them. I don't want to take the risk
of staying. They have guns, we don't. We have no way of defending ourselves
against them. Maybe we'll come back to the fields tomorrow if you
internationals will join us.'

His 10-year-old son Mohammed points to where the settlers were last seen.

He thinks he recognises one of them. 'It's Jadon,' he says. 'He always comes
to the fields.' We scan the horizon, trying to locate them. Eventually we
make out a red blot, one of the men's shirts. Then two more shapes are
deciphered. The settlers are hiding among the trees, about 500 metres away,
observing.

They move from tree to tree, trying to get a better look. It feels like a
game of hide-and-seek, or rather cat and mouse. After about 20 minutes they
decide to leave and we watch them walking back up the hill towards their
caravan homes, peppered in groups of four or five on the hilltops
over-looking the Awarta village fields.

We chat to the Abu Mahmoud family for 10 minutes until a white jeep appears,
driving fast towards us. The family get nervous and motion for us to leave.
'It's settlement security,' says Hani. 'They are crazy. You must come with
us.' The ISM activists stand their ground and cautiously approach the jeep
once it has stopped. The driver queries what they are doing there. The two
men in the jeep are in army uniform, but won't say which security force they
are with.

Palestinians say both settlement security and the Israeli Civil
Administration for the Occupied Territories both use white jeeps, and they
never know which is which. They add that settlers who attack them are often
dressed in army uniforms -- the settlers who attacked Badawe, for example,
were dressed in the army's khaki apparel and used M-16 machine guns, the
official army weapon.

They never know whether they are just wearing them, or if they are actually
doing their official Israeli army service.

I ask Badawe Awad how he can be so sure that the people who attacked him
were settlers, given that they were dressed in soldiers' uniforms. 'I don't
think soldiers from inside Israel would do what they did to me,' says
Badawe. 'Besides, one of them looked very familiar. He was one of the ones
who beat me and my brothers the first time. I'm sure he's from Itamar. And
they both had hair ringlets and beards, which all the Orthodox men wear.'
Itamar is a very Orthodox, some would say extremist, settlement.

Israel lets settlers do their army reserve service in the regions
surrounding their settlements. It is adamant that letting them do their
service near their homes, protecting Palestinians from attacks by people who
could be their neighbours in the settlements, doesn't give rise to a
conflict of interest.

'I won't specify the nature of the soldiers,' says an Israeli Defence Force
(IDF) spokesperson. 'It doesn't matter if they are from Tel Aviv, Jerusalem
or Itamar. They are IDF soldiers and will follow army orders as closely as
possible.'

We return to the village with the Abu Mahmouds and on the way spot another
white van, stopped on the road near the settlement. 'It's been driving in
and out of view for about an hour,' says Hassan Awad. 'I think it's trying
to make sure we don't start picking the olives from the trees closer to the
settlement. The army has told us we can't harvest those trees.'

I call the Israeli Civil Administration spokesman for more information on
the nature of the white vans and the order that Palestinians can't go into
the fields nearest the settlement. He doesn't return my call.

Around half of the Awarta village's olive trees are located near the Itamar
settlement. The villagers, already suffering economically because of the
intifada, say it will be a disaster if they are not able to harvest those
olives. A few of the villagers work as shepherds, but olives are their main
source of income and the trees, which produce fruit only every other year,
sustain them for two years. The rest of their time is taken up with
pressing, processing and selling the olives.

Olives account for up to 20% of Palestinian agricultural output and just
under 5% of its GDP. The Palestinian Authority says the olive harvest was
reduced by 80% in 2001, mainly due to Israeli military action -- an economic
loss of $10 million. Since October 2000 soldiers and settlers have uprooted
or burned 200,000 olive trees.

The harvest season continues until the end of November.