Strongly, strongly recommended!

I'm pushing, via this very broadly listed post, an excellent resource book
on Native Americans -- the Wabanaki Indians [People of the Dawn.]  It's a
splendid piece of work indeed:  THE WABANAKIS OF MAINE AND THE MARITIMES [A
resource book by and about Penobscot, Passamaquoddy, Maliseet, Micmac and
Abenaki Indians.] It's just reached me via a good friend, Ed Nakawatase,
Indian Desk, American Friends Service Committee.  Just off the AFSC press,
this is the revised third edition of this very solid work which first
appeared in 1989.

The Wabanakis of Maine and the Maritimes is a great big paperback book:  8.5
by 11 inches, 520 pages. History, culture, legends and stories, some
acculturation -- but never assimilation, personal accounts, a myriad of
organized facts, all sorts of resource lists [e.g., comprehensive listing of
Native governments/organizations/institutions], 110 illustrations [including
maps] and photos, lesson plans and much more indeed   -- plus [state of the
art!] a separate CD with word pronunciations from the Wabanaki nations plus
songs. Bibliography and index.  There is material here for all educational
levels.

It's very well organized and clearly written -- refreshingly lucid.

These are the Native people who first encountered Europeans well over four
hundred years ago.  And, despite the most brutal forces -- e.g., English
head and scalp bounty hunters,  repeated treaty violations and colossal land
theft by British and Americans and Canadians, attempted cultural genocide
via assimilation, hostile neglect, the destruction of much of the old
hunting economy [e.g. caribou] and much of that of fishing, pervasive
poverty, urban pressures in crucibles such as Boston -- they have not only
very much survived in the socio-cultural sense but have fought back.

And the Wabanakis have fought back hard and effectively over the epochs in
countless local and regional struggles [e.g., land preservation, treaty
maintenance, fishing and hunting rights] and massive, precedent-setting
legal struggles such as the prolonged and relatively successful Maine Indian
land claims case carried a generation and more ago by  the Penobscot and
Passamaquoddy nations -- with beneficial implications for a number of other
tribal nations as well.

The book has just arrived at our Idaho door.  And my daughter, Maria, has
just indicated it to a Maliseet friend at Tobique, NB -- who has the first
edition and who has immediately ordered this one.

When WABANAKIS initially appeared, an older cousin of mine who was/is listed
therein as a principal member of the Curriculum Committee, immediately sent
me a copy.  Sadly, she -- a very active person over generations -- died in
February, 1998.   So it's especially good to see the fine work of herself
and so many other authoritative Indian people carried forward -- especially
since my youngest son, Peter, borrowed my original copy and continues to
retain it. [My cousin would be pleased, though not at all surprised, with
Peter's tenacious hold.]

It's available as a  book -- or as an unbound three-hole [binder not
included.]  The cost is $30.00 [U.S. currency only] with shipping and
handling extra.  Ordering information from American Friends Service
Committee, 1501 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102-1479.  Tel:
215/241-7048 or Toll Free 888-588-2372.

===
>From Frank G. Speck:  Penobscot Man:  The Life History of a Forest Tribe in
Maine, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1940 -- and several subsequent
editions including an enlarged one in 1997:

Typical English bounty proclamations directed against the Wabanaki in the
mid-1700s:

"Whereas the tribe of Penobscot Indians have repeatedly and in a perfidious
manner acted contrary unto their solemn submission unto his Majesty long
since made and frequently renewed . . .

For every scalp of a male Indian brought in as evidence of their being
killed as aforesaid, forty pounds.

For every scalp of such female Indian or male Indian under the age of twelve
years, that shall be killed and brought in as evidence of their being killed
as aforesaid, twenty pounds.
 ------------
For every Indian enemy that they shall kill and produce the scalp to the
Government and Council in evidence, the sum of three hundred pounds.
Also, voted, that the same allowance be made to private persons who shall .
. .kill any Indian enemy which is made to soldiers on the frontiers of the
province. "

In Solidarity -

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]  Micmac / St Francis Abenaki / St Regis Mohawk
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by NaŽshdoŽiŽbaŽiŽ
and Ohkwari'