Forwarded From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hello friends old and new, hello family, hello strangers, hello all,

i arrived back in berlin on monday morning after spending five days at
the
european social forum in florence italy. having been so overwhelmed by
the
experience, i felt it necessary to write it up somehow, and that is what
has taken until today to get done. the below essay (?) is written with
the
intention of posting it online at vanindymedia and other places, and
trying to generally spread the feelings that i can't help contain about
what this experience has meant to me and what it can mean for all of us.
there is much much more to say than what i have written, and i would
love
to share that with all of you, but i would probably write forever and
ever...and i thought this was probably a better way to do it...and
besides, my inbox is always open for a dialogue about this event and
about
anything...so if you have any questions or just want to talk, let me
know...i have nothing but enthusiasm and hope and drive to share....

school and organizing are otherwise about to overwhelm me in the next
month or so...but otherwise, the whole world looks different to me
now...so i just can't wait to dig in and get my politics on...

apologies for the massiveness of this email and for any of you who may
get
it twice...(and for the cheesyness of the title of the write-up...i
ain't
no slickster journalist, that's for sure...)

i wish all of you much spirit joy and solidarity

cheers
jackie

“The European Social Forum- A Personal Account of an Unforgettable
Event”

I arrived in Florence, Italy with an inner cocktail of hesitation and
excitement for the first ever European Social Forum.  Being a Canadian
on
exchange in Berlin, I was hesitant about my ability to participate, but
boarded the bus with a sleeping bag and an open mind and traveled 24
hours
straight south with 180 other Berliners; students, anti-war activists,
revolutionaries, street-theatre enthusiasts and many as-yet unofficially
politically unattached people like myself.  I had no idea what to
expect.
I don’t think I could have ever expected what would happen in Florence…

Immediately struck by the incredible amount of planning and organization
that went into this 4-day event, chalked full of seminars, lectures and
conferences, I became overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the Forum. The
event was borne of the World Social Forum, which was held in Porto
Alegre,
Brazil in January of 2001.  The theme of the World Social Forum was
“Another World Is Possible” and the European Social Forum (ESF), it
follows, was that “Another Europe is Possible”.  The blanket mission
statement under the title was “against neo-liberalism, war and racism”.
Sounded good to me…

Every morning and every evening there were between eight to ten
conferences to choose from arranged by the subheadings; “Globalization
and
Liberalism”, “War and Peace” and “Rights- Citizenship- Democracy”.
These
events were hosted by the ESF itself and then every afternoon were
literally dozens and dozens of seminars or workshops to go to, hosted by
individual organizations from all over Europe. This, of course, was
frustrating for the information-seeking budding activist, because there
was simply no way to get an overall impression of what was being
offered,
the sheer selection was awe-inspiring. (and I thought I’d get a chance
see Florence…)

In retrospect, the beauty of having a gathering with such a diverse
programme, is that every individual had their own unique experience at
the
forum, and could then share and discuss their day with any of the 60,000
participants from all over Europe at one of the cultural events or in a
pizzeria or in a café over Italian cappuccino…

If I could convey to you, the sheer magnitude of people who took part in
the forum, you would never believe that such a large event could also be
successful.  Imagine sitting in what seems like a big beer hall with
3000
people, listening to speakers talk about the building of the anti-war
movement in England or  Food Sovereignty or Argentina-post December
2001…people clapping and cheering and listening and learning and
networking all around you. Unbelievable.

At each event, headsets were available so that participants could listen
to the speeches being translated on the spot into at least English, but
usually also French, German, Spanish and Italian…very impressive for the
Canadian girl who can never stop being amazed at the multi-linguality of
the large majority of Europeans.

I took part in a number of seminars and conferences with topics ranging
from “From the European Union shaped by neo-liberal globalization to the
Europe of alternatives” to “Men and Women: an inescapable conflict for a
shared future” (where, I might add, the contribution from the audience
was
far more exciting than the speakers themselves) to “Anti-Capitalism:
What
we want and how to get it” among others.

All of this immense information sharing, discussion and debate was
slowly
but steadily building up to the massive anti-war demonstration planned
for
Saturday afternoon.  I must admit, there was a tangible fear in the air,
regarding the peacefulness of the demonstration given the track-record
of
the Italian police.  Just over one year ago, at the G8 Protest in Genoa,
Carlo Guilliani was shot and killed by police in the first day of
protests
against the G8 agenda.  There was no doubt that this was on all of our
minds.  Carlo’s mother spoke at the Anti-Capitalism seminar and,
through a
translator, she said she was convinced “we were doing the right thing”
and
that we brought her and Carlo’s memory honour by continuing to struggle
against the forces that would have us be silent.  She received a
standing
ovation. I wondered if my mother would have said the same thing if it
were
me that had been struck down last year. I think we all did.  But I think
we all felt that Mrs. Guiliann!
i was just like all of our mothers, and to experience her solidarity for
“the movement” in the face of her loss, was like physical proof for all
of
us that this is real and this is happening and this is right.  This gave
me and I think all of us, the incredibly emotional impetus to continue
stand up for what we believe in.  There was no doubt that this was no
longer just on our minds, but also in our hearts as we prepared to take
the streets the following morning.

Saturday morning. Demo-day.  Last-minute additions to the massive
stockpiles of signs and banners were being hastily made: staples, tape
and
paint were a precious commodity. The feeling in the air was
unbelievable.
I must admit, I was prepared and had actually expected there to be some
sort of police altercation at the demonstration.  I think we were all
concerned about this, or more specifically concerned that the media
would
jump at the opportunity to smear the image of the forum and the
demonstration in order to downplay the very clear rising in anti-war
sentiment happening now all over the world.  Nonetheless, we weren’t the
least bit interested in letting this fear override the statement we were
about to make with the expected two to three hundred thousand people on
that sunny Saturday morning.  Word had already come that special trains
had to be ordered to accommodate the people who were flowing in from all
over Italy and Europe. And all of this was happening in the s!
hadow of the United Nations’ decision the day before to send weapons
inspectors into Iraq.

But that didn’t matter. The only thing that mattered was that were about
to come together as a continent to say NO to war.  Not now. Not ever.

The official start time of the demonstration was to be three o’clock,
but
given the apparent number of people peacefully besieging Florence, the
start time was moved to eleven.  Slowly, we in the International Block,
headed off to the Piazza Dell Indipendenza where thousands of people had
already gathered and were heading off. And we marched. And we chanted.
And
we smiled. And we cheered.

Slowly we started to get word that something like three or four hundred
thousand people were already marching with us.  There comes a point, I
think, where you can no longer grasp how many people are actually around
you, because you simply can’t see the end of them.  The streets were all
shut down and there were no police to be seen. I repeat, there were no
police anywhere to be seen. Instead of helmeted cops with guns on the
side
of the streets, there were thousands and thousands of Italians, cheering
and clapping and encouraging us along. I think all of Florence was out
there with us. If people weren’t on the streets, then they were on their
balconies, where street after street, house after house, flags saying
“Pace” (Peace) or white table cloths or bed-sheets were flung over
balconies in solidarity with us. I have never experienced such a
feeling.
I’m getting goose bumps just sitting here writing about it.  One of the
white sheets just had the word “Grazia” (Thanks) spra!
y painted on it. Wow. The support and encouragement of the Italian
people
was incredible.

We marched eight kilometres and about four hours through the streets of
Florence and arrived at the end to hear that we should be sure to make
room or sit down in the massive field where a concert was about to be
held, because people were still STARTING to march back at the beginning.
Gradually word came out that we were half a million people, and then,
given the never-ending flow of demonstrators, colourful, happy, cheering
demonstrators, we were then told it was probably more like a million
people.

A million people.

A million people.

I’m not sure the English language has the words to describe what that
meant to us, what that means to all of us. A million people. A million
people unified under one cause: Peace. A million people representing
hundreds or thousands of different groups, organizations, parties,
unions
and individuals.  What does this mean to me? What does this mean to you?

To me, it meant and will always mean that another world really is
possible. There hasn’t been a massive mobilization with these numbers in
Europe since the 1920’s. If you think about how many people simply
couldn’t make it to Florence on that day, or how many people stayed home
because of the Italian/International Media’s extensive attempt to
instill
fear in the protesters, or how many people have ever even just thought
about going to a protest, but were too disheartened to ever actually go…
just think about the implications for this movement and for all
movements
where the people take to the streets and say “we want a different
world”…where the people are unified under the banner of action and can
freely and peacefully represent their diverse interests…where the people
come together and say “we’ve had enough, and we will make change,
whether
you legislate it or not”…think about what this means for the people of
Iraq, for the people who are suffering all over the world….th!
ink about what it means to you…

The feeling in the air after the demonstration was pure jubilation.  We
felt no fear.  We felt no competition.  We could hardly stop
grinning…intoxicated on politics, we danced and danced into the night.
We
felt empowered to go home and spread this empowerment with everyone in
our
local communities.  We couldn’t wait to get back and let everyone know
that we can do it, we will do it, and that the world we live in, the
system we have inherited, is in our hands.  We can do anything if we
come
together and support each other keep open-minds.  The only thing that
was
destroyed in Florence, Italy on November 9th, 2002 was our biggest
enemy :
Cynicism. We felt that we had taken part in something historical, but
even
more importantly, we felt that we had only just begun.

“…the people, united, will never be defeated…the people united, will
never
be defeated…”

jacqueline hoffart
november, 13th 2002