From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scary Times in the USA
By Molly Ivins
November 24, 2002; the Boulder Daily Camera
(reprinted from the Ft.Worth Star-Telegram)

http://www.thedailycamera.com/bdc/opinion_columnists/article/0,1713,
BDC_2490_1563806,00.html

AUSTIN, Texas - Readin' the newspapers anymore is eerily
reminiscent of all those bad novels warning of the advent of
fascism in America. "It Can't Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis was a
bad book, and the genre shades off into right-wing paranoia about
black helicopters, including the memorably awful "Turner Diaries."
I don't use the f-word myself - in fact, for years, I've made fun
of liberals who hear the approach of jackbooted fascism around
every corner. But to quote a real authority on the subject,
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism, since it is
the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

The most hair-raising news du jour is about Total Information
Awareness, a giant government computer system being set up to spy
on Americans and run by none other than John Poindexter of Iran-Contra fame.

TIA will provide intelligence agencies and law enforcement with
instant access to information from e-mail, telephone records,
credit cards, banking transactions and travel records, all without
a search warrant. The just-passed Homeland Security Bill undermines
the Privacy Act of 1974, which was intended to limit what
government agencies can do with personal information.

And can we trust the government to keep all this information solely
for the task of tracking terrorists? Funny you should ask. The Wall
Street Journal reports this week that shortly after Sept. 11, the
FBI circulated the names of hundreds of people it wanted to
question to scores of corporations around the country.

"A year later, the list has taken on a life of its own, with
multiplying - and error-filled - versions being passed around like
bootleg music. Some companies fed a version of the list into their
databases and now use it to screen job applicants and customers."
The list included people who were not suspects at all, just people
the FBI wanted to talk to because they might have had some
information. But, the Journal reports, a Venezuelan bank's security
officer sent the list, headed "suspected terrorists sent by the
FBI," to a website.

The great writer on the subject of totalitarianism was George
Orwell, and "1984" is always worth rereading. Damned if GeeDubya
Bush didn't pop up the other day to announce that we must fight a
war "for the sake of peace." That's not vaguely Orwellian, it's a
direct steal.

During another time of rampaging fear, when civil liberties were
considered a frivolous luxury, the late, unlamented McCarthy Era,
the American Civil Liberties Union chickened out on some big issues
and so an Emergency Civil Liberties Union had to be created to
fight McCarthyism. This ACLU, under Anthony Romero, is fighting
hard, but I think we need a new coalition organization - civil
libertarians, libertarians and principled conservatives ... real
patriots who believe in the Constitution. The blowhard right-wingers sometimes
put down Barry Goldwater these days as "the
liberals' favorite conservative," and so he was. But in your heart,
you know Goldwater would have had a cow over all this.

Rep. Dick Armey has already announced he will do consulting work
with the ACLU on privacy issues (good on him). Rep. Ron Paul and
columnist Bill Safire are stout on these matters, as are other
unlikely suspects such as Bob Barr of Georgia.

For those who relish irony, there's a comical extent to which
liberals are the new conservatives, exactly where the old
principled Republicans used to be - reluctant to get involved in
foreign wars, harping on fiscal responsibility and worried about
constitutional freedoms.

Personally, I still believe internationalism makes more sense than
isolationism because our major problems in the future - global
warming, overpopulation and water shortage - are going to have to
be dealt with on a global basis. I think it is inarguable that this
is the most anti-environmental administration since before Teddy
Roosevelt. The corporatists in this administration, particularly
those from the oil bidness, apparently have some grand imperialist
schemes to keep us in cheap oil indefinitely.

As a matter of both foreign and environmental policy, it makes a
lot more sense to lay rail, promote renewable energy and get
serious about conserving oil. We subsidize the hell out of the oil
bidness with innumerable tax breaks, loopholes and support
programs. For heaven's sake, why not support renewable energy,
instead? Why should we ask our military to die for cheap oil when
the rest of us aren't even being asked to get better mileage?

Copyright 2002, The Daily Camera
In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht