AP. 28 January 2002. About 1,500 Peacefully Protest Against War.

WASHINGTON -- About 1,500 people rallied peacefully outside the Capitol
during President Bush's State of the Union address Tuesday, mainly
united in opposition to a possible war in Iraq.

"We're not focused on what Bush is saying but rather on what he's not
saying," said Zoe Mitchell, 22, a leader of the Shirts Off Coalition
that organized the event. "What he's focused on is war."

The protesters, bundled in winter garb as the temperature dipped near
freezing, listened to speeches and hip-hop music. Volunteer medics were
on hand, and heat lamps and hot chocolate helped fight off the chill.

"I'm very worried about Bush's militaristic posture and his reckless
saber-rattling," said Ruth Kastner, 47, who described herself as an
independent scholar.

A separate spur of people held signs and candles along Pennsylvania
Avenue.

"People come here with all kinds of different concerns, but the one
thing that really unites us is the war with Iraq," said John Rockwell,
an engineer who traveled from Ohio.

"Our foreign policy just shows great disrespect to our European allies
and the people we should be befriending in the Middle East."

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org

In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht