http://www.usmlo.org/archive2003/2003-01/07-04-06.htm

School District Organizes Anti-war Teach-ins

On January 14, students, teachers, staff, parents and other community
members of Oakland, California schools took part in District organized
anti-war teach-ins. About 30 Oakland schools - including almost all high
schools and several elementary and middle schools in the district - held
teach-ins in classrooms and assemblies, news sources report. An estimated
5,000 to 10,000 students participated in the programs.
The teachers' union, the Oakland Education Association (OEA), helped
organize the activities. Some 75 presenters including political activists
and area university professors, with groups ranging from Veterans for Peace
and the Black Radical Congress to the Middle East Children's Alliance and
International ANSWER, gave more than 200 presentations throughout the day to
initiate discussion.

The School Board passed a resolution supporting the teach-ins following the
initiative of students, teachers and community members in the majority
African American district. The action stood against attacks in the media and
from pro-war political groups and "think tanks" like the Heritage Foundation
that schools should have no say on the issue of war and peace.

The School Board's resolution states that "an attack on Iraq by the United
States would have enormous human, financial and political consequences in
the United States and the world community" and "it is essential that the
people of the United States be well-informed on the causes and consequences
of military action by their government." It calls for citywide public
education "concerning the background of the current crisis concerning Iraq,
the options available to the United States government for attempting to
resolve that crisis, and the likely consequences of a United States military
attack on Iraq." Participation in this first teach-in and future events is
voluntary.

Dan Siegel, a member of the School Board said, "Our goal is to do education
and to have people make up their minds." School officials report that
efforts had been made to have speakers presenting in favor of war, including
invitations to the State Department and Senator Dianne Feinstein, but none
would participate.
Representative of the day's activities, students in one world history class
at Oakland High discussed the war with San Francisco State University
political philosophy professor Ann Robertson. Students compiled a list of
arguments for and against a war with Iraq on the blackboard, then discussed
and interrogated each.
Students firmly rejected the notion that as youth they should have no
concern about war, particularly since many of them are going to be asked to
do the fighting. They and their teachers instead took up their social
responsibility to themselves investigate and decide their stands and actions
to take.

Opposing those critics claiming the besieged Oakland School District should
instead focus on its "low test scores" and the massive cutbacks about to be
inflicted in the name of a $100 million deficit, Maurice Williams, a student
government leader at Oakland High, was quoted as saying: "Here we are in
Oakland. We've got so many different problems. We've got a homicide rate
that's soaring. We've got a huge hole in our education system. Health care
is a mess. And yet we can gather together like this and say that we are
concerned about something like this."

In Oakland, school board member Siegel affirmed, "We're off to a good start.
This is just the first round." Future initiatives will focus even more on
involving the students in participating in rigorous discussion, organizers
said.