Note by Hunterbear:

This is in response to a treaty inquiry on February 11  from a very old
friend, a Sioux -- and former student [and UND grad] who took my
many-years-taught Federal Indian Law course in the Fall term, 1983.  I pass
along my response, and his questions, as part of my continuing efforts to
provide "education" on Native matters and concerns.

I note that our SNCC list is discussing inquires from students desperately
seeking civil rights info -- as Joyce  notes so aptly, " . . .the night
before a paper is due."  I also receive civil rights inquires directly -- as
well as many indeed on Native rights and Indian law.  I do strongly agree
with Joyce and Julian et al. that we should steer students to libraries --
although I do, myself, respond directly and quickly [and as fully as
possible] as well.  Have to keep my professorial hand in!  Best - H

>From Hunterbear:

Dear Emory:

Always very good to hear from you.  The treaty that I handed out in class
was the Treaty of Fort Laramie [1868] plus some related earlier and
subsequent materials.  There should be no problem finding a copy of the
Treaty on the Net or in any academic library.  I have a copy somewhere
around here -- but can't locate it.  But, it's easily found in many places.

All told, there were many, many hundreds of treaties signed between the
United States government and the Indian nations, especially in the 19th
century [before 1871.]  In 1871, Congress ended treaty making with the
Indian nations but the treaties then in existence -- more than 400 --
continue with full validity.  They are covered, as are all US treaties, by
Article 6, Section 2, of the Constitution -- and are thus part of "the
supreme law of the land" just as are any US treaties with any nation.
[There are also some state treaties -- e.g., New York state.]  Native
treaties are always under attack, of course, and the fight to maintain them
is on-going -- as is the fight to preserve and regain Native sovereignty.  A
treaty between the U.S. and an Indian nation occupies a far higher status
than that of a Congressional statute.  Qualitatively, there's no difference
between a US/Indian nation treaty and a US/European nation treaty.

There are about 5,000 Federal Indian law statutes of one kind or another --
plus a myriad of court [mostly US Supreme Court] rulings, as well as
hundreds of Federal Indian regulations!

A treaty must be interpreted with the meaning understood by the signatory
Indians.  This is a very basic rule.  It was started as a concept in Justice
McLean's concurrence in the historic pro-Indian Cherokee Nation decision,
Worcester v Georgia [1832] but became formal doctrine via Jones v Meehan
[1899] and Tulee v Washington [1942.]  [Recognizing that the language, dated
by the times, is sometimes a bit ethnocentric --  Jones and Tulee are
nevertheless strongly pro-Indian decisions.]

Jones v. Meehan:

"It must always be borne in mind that the negotiations for the treaty are
conducted, on the part of the U.S., by an enlightened and powerful nation,
by representatives skilled in diplomacy, masters of a written language,
understanding the modes and forms of creating the various technical estates
known to their law, and assisted by an interpreter employed by themselves;
that the treaty is drawn up by them and in their own language; that the
Indians . . .are a weak and dependent people who have no written language
and are wholly unfamiliar with all of the forms of legal expression, and
whose only knowledge of the terms on which the treaty is framed is that
imparted to them by the interpreter employed by the U.S.; and that the
treaty must therefore be construed, not according to the technical meaning
of its words to learned lawyers, but in the sense in which they would
naturally be understood by the Indians."

Tulee v. Washington:

"It is our responsibility to see that the terms of the treaty are carried
out, so far as possible, in accordance with the meaning they were understood
to have by the tribal representatives at the council and in a spirit which
generously recognizes the full obligations of this nation to protect the
interests  of a dependent people."

Again, Jones v. Meehan:

"The manner in which the dead and living chiefs. . .have regarded the
reservation is of the utmost importance in determining the proper
construction of the treaty."

------
As a result of Jones and Tulee, Native oral history is accepted by the U.S.
courts [and most other courts] as legally valid.  Oral history was used
extensively, vis-a-vis Treaty of Ft Laramie [1868] etc. in the Wounded Knee
cases in the mid and late '70s -- and in countless other Native treaty and
related cases.

Hope this has been of some help, Emory.  By all means, keep in touch.  Ask
any questions you wish -- and I'll always do my best!

As Ever -

Hunter or John or Anything At All

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org