Sunday, March 16, 2003
The Death of Rachel Corrie
by Adam Levenstein

I said the Kaddish today. I honestly can't remember the last time I picked
up a Siddur, much less actually said a prayer—maybe a family Bar Mitzvah,
maybe a wedding. My days as an observant Jew have long since ended.

But today was different. I awoke this afternoon, after sleeping off the long
bus ride back from the anti-war mobilization in DC, to find that a young ISM
activist had been killed by an Israeli bulldozer.

Rachel, only two years my junior, was trying to stop the Israeli Occupation
Forces (I refuse to call them "Defense") from demolishing the home of a
Palestinian doctor. She stood alone in front of the bulldozer, waving her
arms, shouting at the driver to stop through her bullhorn. As she fell, the
bulldozer ran completely over her; it then reversed, driving backwards over
the buried woman. Rachel died later in a hospital.

As if that were not enough, people gathered at the site to help—and the IOF
promptly opened fire. One Palestinian, who the US media did not deign to
name, was killed.

And so I said the Kaddish for Rachel. I said it for all of the courageous
souls—Palestinian and international alike—who put their lives on the line
fighting this illegal Occupation by an apartheid army. I said it for the
innocent men, women, and children who the Israelis have massacred.

But I also said it for our community—a community so driven to defend Israel
they will whitewash obvious, premeditated murder. Already the Internet
trolls are out, explaining that Rachel "got what she deserved." Groups such
as the Anti-Defamation League, so famous for dismissing critics of Israel as
"anti-semitic," are remaining suspiciously silent. We live in a time when
pointing an accusing finger at Israel, no matter how egregious and obvious
their crimes, is simply not permitted.

Rachel's death, however tragic, was only remarkable in that she was an
American. The IOF has had no problems gunning down, bombing, torturing, or
imprisoning Palestinian civilians. The fact that the media in this country
bothered to look up her name, as opposed to the thousands of Palestinians
who have been murdered over the years, only shows the racism that is so
entrenched in our society. An American being killed is something special—but
Arabs are just par for the course. A month without a suicide bombing is
considered a period of "relative calm," never mind the Palestinians who are
still dying.

Rachel died surrounded by her friends and comrades, as well as doctors who
labored to save her life. She died bravely, fighting for a cause as noble as
no other. And as I looked at the photos of her last hours on this Earth, and
I as I saw her fellow activists who were huddled in shock and grief, I
grieved. I grieved for her, despite never having met her. Rachel exemplified
courage; she put her life on the line to stand up for what was right, and
paid the ultimate price.

But despite my own lack of belief in an afterlife, I firmly believe Rachel
is still with us. As long as we struggle for what is just, as long as we
continue to stand with our Palestinian brothers and sisters against this
inhuman, racist regime, she will be right there with us. And we will
continue the struggle.

May her soul be bound up in the bonds of eternal life.

Project-X list:
initiated for the (re)building of the Left.