Early in the anti-Vietnam war movement (1964-65),
Youth Against War and Fascism raised the slogan "Bring
the GIs home now!" It contended successfully with
"Negotiate Now" at a SANE-organized demonstration in
Washington on Thanksgiving weekend, 1965. Another
favorite was "Big firms get rich, GIs die." Later, the
SWP used "Bring the troops home" with and without the
now, as I remember, but maybe someone who was with
them then can comment. It was always a natural
response to "Well, we have to support the troops,
don't we?" I was organizing troops against the war
then, in the American Servicemen's Union, so it always
seemed obvious.

John Catalinotto