En relación a Re: [L-I] Re: What to do if the KLA and NATO figh,
el 25 Aug 00, a las 20:03, Johannes Schneider dijo:

> Louis Proyect wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the July 26th movement was inspired ideologically by
> > Mariategui, not Stalin. You don't even have to go to the library to
> > find out what he stands for. His writings are online at the Marxists
> > archives.
>
> I always thought the July 26th movement was inspired by Jose Marti.

Things are much more complex. Latin American radicals were active
members of a community which drew from many different sources. Some
of them were offshots of the middle class Reforma Universitaria in
Argentina, others took their roots from the experience of the Mexican
revolution, others from Martí, still others from Hostos and Albizu
Campos, and then you had Mariátegui's Marxism and Sandino's
positions. And there were still other sources, such as the APRA
(founded in Mexico during the mid 1920s, it made a long and
interesting carreer in Perú with Haya de la Torre), the Bolivian
revolutionary nationalists, and so on.

The July 26 militancy drew basically from Martí, because it drew
deeply in Cuban history. But the leaders of this movement were well
aware of other currents in Latin American radical activism. Castro
was a supporter of Gaitán in Colombia, for example, and the
Argentinian Embassy seems to have sheltered him during the repression
that followed the Bogotazo (this earmarked him, for the CIA, as a
dangerous revolutionary, according to Argentinian journalist García
Lupo, who has investigated the episode).

Mariátegui was, for years, the most important Latin American Marxist,
and of course his ideas were well known by Castro and by Guevara (who
had been acquainted with them in Perú and had seen the validity of
Mariátegui's theses on the peasant issue while in Guatemala).

Hope this helps.

> Johannes

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky