Sorry Mac! I forgat the page limitation. Confused me!

I am sending the article in pieces.

Mine

>Tabe Kooistra wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 04:08:11PM -0400, Mine Aysen Doyran wrote:
> >
> > Publications in English only. I wish you could read the original
> > wiritings of Behice Boran, Yalcin Kucuk, Dogan Avcioglu, Idris
> > Kucukomer, Mahir Cayan, Hikmet Kivilcimli, Mete Tuncay, Taha Parla
etc..

> http://www.ozgurluk.org/dhkc/pub/Mahir_Cayan.html
>
> Grz!
> Tabe

Here is a short history of the political economy of capitalism in Turkey
by
Mahir Cayan (permanent revolutionist!) from the same web site:

Mine

***THE CENTRAL FEUDAL STATE OF THE OSMANS (Mine: Note that this is
"Ottaman
State")

We have to approach the Osman-state in two phases:

   1.The military-centralist-feudal Osman empire.
   2.The feudal compradors-state of the Osmans.

Although the Osman society did not possess a classical feudal structure,
it was a feudal state. When we look at it mor precisely, the society
(especially in the 16th century) was: militaristic - centralistic -
feudal. The production of the feudal staten was tied to the land. The
central state appropriated the surplus production through secondary
feudal lords. The fact that the strategic commercial roads were in the
hands of the Osman feudality, as well as the external plunder brought
about that the internal plunder - the internal exploitation - was not
very sharp.

This situation, and the fact that the feudal building was not of a
classical
type, softened - more or less - the internal contradictions. (That is to
say, the contrasts between the forces of production and the relations of
production were not pronounced to such an extent that they would have
led into the boundless in a short time). When capitalism slowly began to
sprout and the contrasts entered a phase of sharpening, the European
capitalism prevented the native capitalism to develop. (7)

That it was to become a field of exploitation by European capitalism was

stipulated by the weak auto-dynamics which played, without any doubt, a
mayor role.

At the end of the 18th century the Osman society became a open market
for European capitalism. (This was made official with the Treaty of
Baltaliman in 1838). These are the years in which the central authority
weakened and the feudal regional lands became more powerful.

Since the 18th century the Osman society intensified entered a phase of
colonialisation, the state soon became a compradors state, native
capitalism - still in the phase of delicate infancy, was not able to
resist the competition of European capitalism, and the economy got a
feudalist comprador structure.

One of the major particularities of this feudalist -comprador-economy
was the lack of a revolutionary bourgeoisie which moved on the
development of the nation, which could have moved the masses of the
people who were fell asleep under the influence of social-psychological
and cultural development, caused by half-feudal character of society,
tradition, morals and customs, and which would have been able to spread
progressive and democratic thoughts. This task was, necessarily, put on
the shoulders of the small bourgeoisie. (8) Put in other words, the weak
auto-dynamics - caused by the lack of a classical feudal structure in
Osman society - resulted in the fact that the privileged broad
bureaucracy, as a product of a strong centralism of the military feudal
state, was able to act, to a certain degree, as a class.

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633