Continued..

http://interactive.m2.org/Theather/SSener.html

***TURKISH DRAMA
Sevda Sener

The Turkish theater developed rapidly during the Republican period. The
romantic tendency of the previous years was followed by a new interest
in European Realism and Naturalism. Playwright. like Halit Fahri Ozansoy
(1891-1971), Vedat Nedim Tor (1897-1985), Cevdet Kudret (1907-1919),
Nazim Hikmet Ran (1902-1963), Necip Fazil Kisakürek (1905-1983), Resat
Nuri Guntekin (1889-1956) dealt with social and psychological problems
in intense domestic conflicts. The social and individual downfall was
explained by the superficiality of cultural modernization with its
economic causes and ethical results. In these plays family relationships
are destroyed either because of the craze of Westernization which tended
to change the accustomed way of life, or because of the domination of
materialistic tendency over humanistic considerations after the First
World War. The loss of traditional moral values, political conflicts,
snobbishness, bigotry and decomposition of traditional and modern habit
of living become topical themes for writers in the thirties and the
forties, providing them with impressive dramatic situations. Resat Nuri
Guntekin who was also a well-known novelist, reflected the circumstances
that required wise decisions from the characters who could not adjust
themselves to this rapid social change and fail to make the right
decision in critical situations. His most representative play Falling
Leaves presents the sad story of a nonconformist father who stubbornly
refuses to accept the inevitability of social change yet could not
protect his children from the modernization craze and in a way is
responsible for their downfall.

>From fifties on, the contrast of traditional and modern ways of living
become a topical theme for playwrights providing them with dramatic
situations easy to handle both in tragic and comic terms. As the newly
rich class gained power in society, the moral values of the old middle
class had to give way to the aspirations of the new generations. Cevat
Fehmi Baskurt (1908-1971), playwright and newspaper man, presented the
problems of the traditionally respected members of bureaucratic society
who had to try hard to keep their accustomed level of living in the face
of economic crises. Since he presented the topical social and political
problems from the point of generally accepted interpretation, he became
the most popular playwright of the time. On the other hand, a similar
problem is treated in a very subtle way by Ahmet Kutsi Tecer (1901-1967)
in his plays of Turkish drama. In this play, the change in social
conditions, the universal cycle of life from birth to death and the
circulation of the planets are dealt in correspondence rendering the
subject a universal significance.

Turkish dramatic writing flourished at the sixties and the seventies.
After the declaration of a more liberal Constitution in 1960 writers
were freer to deal with social problems extensively. Along with the new
plays of the writers themes, new characters, new types are introduced to
drama. Although the playwrights depended mostly on realistic
observations, deeper causes of social and individual problems are
detected and writers avoided easy interpretations. A new generation of
playwrights brought vigor to the stage. Domestic drama was still the
most favorite kind. Comedies tended to staire. Socially oriented
domestic conflicts were no longer interpreted from the viewpoint of the
traditional conception of social harmony. On the contrary playwrights
like Sabahattin Kudret Aksal, Melih Cevdet Anday, Oktay Rifat, Haldun
Taner, Refik Erduran, Haldun Taner, Cetin Altan, Turgut Ozakman, Orhan
Asena, Necati Cumali, Adalet Agaoglu, Aziz Nesin seemed to have
undertaken the task of illuminating the public about false balances that
used to conceal the essential contradictions. The struggle of the
individual who tries hard to retain his self respect in a corrupted
society meant to create a new consciousness in spectators about the
social problems. The Main theme was the poverty and social insecurity of
the economically oppressed classes. The social order was held
responsible for the oppression and social abuse. Problems of people
living in suburbs and poor villages were brought to stage with obvious
allusions to the economic order that was supposed to be the cause of
misery of people. Certain distrust was also discernible towards
intellectuals who were blamed of irresponsibility and selfishness.

Family relationships that have come to the point of breakdown under the
pressures of social conditions and psychological crises experienced in
such crucial times, rendered depth to the plays written by contemporary
writers. Character portraits began to take the plays of stereotypes of
earlier plays. Melih Cevdet Anday (b. 1915) in his play Those Within,
dwelled on the psychological breakdown of a prisoner who, being kept in
seclusion for many days, is so obsessed by his sexual instincts that the
loses all his sense of morality until he comes to contact with other
people and is able to control himself. Lotto, by Adalet Agaoglu (b.
1929) dealt with frustration of an old couple who pass the last days of
their lives eating, quarreling, playing lottery and above all waiting
for their grown up children to visit them. The bitter sensation of
futility dominates the atmosphere of the play. Oktay Rifat’s (1914-1988)
Discomfort Preceeding Rain also deals with the psychological breakdown
of a woman who has to face the cruelty of her husband and the infidelity
of her lover. A similar depression experienced by a woman under the
oppression of a conservative social circle ends in catastrophe in Necati
Cumali’s (b. 1921) play Mine. Turgut Ozakman, (b. 1930) one of the most
successful playwrights of Turkish theater, presented the problems in
family relationships in a milder but more effective way in his very well
build play Fireplace. The Bicycle of Cengiz Khan by Refik Erduran (b.
1928) has a unique place in a Turkish drama because of its humanitarian
and humorous approach to family life. Haldun Taner (1915-1986) the
foremost notable playwright of Turkish theater dealt with neighborhood
relationships as well as domestic affairs in his play Pharmacy of
Goodwill in a very subtle way.

Mythological and historical material was also brought to stage
dramatized to suit the requirements of the stage. Selahattin Batu’s
(1905-1973) Fair Helen is a typical example of the humanistic tendency
prevailing in Turkish drama in the fifties. In this play Menelaus, Fair
Helen's husband and his fellow commanders and soldiers, who have sailed
to Troy to bring Helen back are so involved in making war and shedding
blood that they forget their former legitimate aim. Helen, who represent
truth and beauty is disappointed. She refuses to join her countrymen and
stays at Troy to soothe the pains of the defeated. Gungor Dilmen's (b.
1930) Sacrifice is a modern version of Medea. In this play a village
woman, refusing to yield her husband's wish to bring a second wife into
her house, as used to be a common practice in provincial towns although
strictly forbidden by law, kills her children and herself. This play
excels in poetic diction and tragic mode. Stories of mythical figures
like Gilgamesh and Midas the King were also dramatized from a
contemporary point of view. The court life of Ottoman period also
provided convenient material for spectacular productions because of the
rich and colorful costumes of courtly people and splendid court
decorations. In addition to the glamour of spectacle, the imposing
gestures and bombastic speech of Ottoman Emperors, intrigues of
ambitious Sultans appealed to the popular interest. In historical place
of Orhan Asena (b. 1922) and Turan Oflazoglu (b. 1932) the rulers are
presented as complex characters with psychological problems. While
Oflazoglu was making a detailed character portrait of one of the most
prominent of Ottoman Sultans in his play IV. Murat IV, Orhan Asena dealt
with historical material with contemporary allusions and dwelled on
contemporary political figures like Allende in his trilogy on Chili's
political conflicts.

Plays dealing with lives of rural people came into vogue in the sixties.
Peasant costumes and house designs provided rich spectacular material.
Local dialect rendered these plays a special flavor. Comical and
melodramatic effects could easily be produced by exaggeration in a
medium which was beyond the actual observation of spectators. Cahit Atay
(b. 1925) is the forerunner of this trend and he dealt with the problems
of village people in a semi-serious way in his plays like his one acter
The Ambush. Yasar Kemal’s (b. 1922) Tin, Necati Cumali's (b.1921) The
Clogs, and Rainless Summer, Recep Bilginer's (b. 1922) Rebels, Hidayet
Sayin's (b. 1929) The Woman Called Pembe presented domestic, territorial
and administrative problems.

Daily lives of people living in shanty towns and the difficulties they
have to confront are reflected in plays like Haldun Taner's The Ballad
of Ali of Kesan, Oktay Rifat's Spotted Cock, Orhan Asena's The Girl
Called Fadik , Dincer Sumer's (b. 1938) The Impasse Called Katip, Ulker
Koksal's (b. 1931) No Way Out, Cahit Atay's Gultepe Plays.

Politically committed writers dwelled on social insecurity and poverty
of lower classes. Problems of people living in shanties and villages
were brought to attention with an obvious allusion to economic order
which is severely criticized. Sermet Cagan's (1929-1970) Factory of
Orthopedic Feet and Legs is a typical example of politically committed
theater of the sixties. In this play all the poor inhabitants of a
village become crippled because they have to eat to wheat seed which had
been chemically treated in order to be preserved for the following
year's crop. Soon a factory, supported by foreign capital is built there
to produce orthopedic feet and legs for crippled people who ironically
feel grateful. Orhan Kemal’s (1914-1970) Prison Ward and Murtaza, Hasmet
Zeybek's (b. 1938) Incident of Alpagut, Basar Sabuncu's (b. 1943) Realty
Tax displayed the frustration of the people living in poor houses, kept
in prisons, working in mines and factories displayed the
maladministration
of social institutions and social injustice in general. Sufferings of
women under the pressure of traditional customs have been brought to
stage from the very beginning. The place of women writers like Adalet
Agaoglu, Ulker Koksal, Nezihe Araz (b. 1922) shed a new light on the
question and displayed the feminine point of view on the subject.

An increasing interest was observed in political questions in the
sixties and the seventies. The influence of European political drama was
obvious. Bertolt Brecht's conception of epic theater and its practice
was accepted as the only valid approach to social matters in theatrical
medium. The similarity between the episodic structure of the epic
theater and the open and presentational form of the traditional
spectacular place was brought to attention by the critics. The most
noteworthy play of epic trend in Turkish drama is Vasif Ongoren's
(1938-1984) How can Asiye be Saved. In this play, life story of a poor
girl who tries to escape her inevitable end in vain is presented in
episodes, connected by a narrator, who as a representative of middle
class women, makes her own comment upon the facts. Some playwrights
expressed their opinion about the social matters on the safe ground of
history. In Erol Toy's (b. 1938) Pir Sultan Abdal, Mehmet Akan's (b.
1938) Sheik Bedrettin, Orhan Asena's Atcali Kel Mehmet, the famous folk
heroes and their deeds were meant to be the right models for present
expectation of heroic action. New writers like Oktay Arayici
(1936-1985), Kerim Korcan (b. 1918), Erol Toy (b. 1936), Bilgesu Erenus
(b.1943), Hasmet Zeybek (b.1948), Ismet Kuntay (1923-1974) also
contributed to the provocative political atmosphere of the time by their
plays. Some private companies staged documentary plays written in
collaboration of their own members in the same mode.

This brief survey of the development of contemporary Turkish drama shows
that the majority of the plays are realistic dramas focusing on moral,
social or political issues; playwrights usually avoid modern trends.
Only a few writers dared to express the complexities of human reality in
abstract compositions. Some of the plays of the famous satirist Aziz
Nesin (1915-1995), Melih Cevdet Anday, Adalet Agaoglu, Yildirim Keskin
(b. 1922), Behcet Necatigil (1916-1979), Aydin Arit (b. 1928), and
Sabahattin Kudret Aksal can be around.......................

Humor tending to satire has always been one of the essential
characteristics of Turkish drama. The earnestness which prevails in the
atmosphere of the modern plays mingles with humor to produce a bitter
sensation in the spectator. Oguz Atay (1934-1979) a well known novelist,
made a brilliant debut with his play Those Who Play to Live is one of
the best examples of such a combination.
xxxx

The most conspicuous achievement of Contemporary Turkish dramatic
writing and production have been the conscious effort to create original
native drama by making use of the formal and stylistic elements of
traditional spectacular plays in a way to satisfy modern taste and
contemporary intellectual needs. The main challenge to such an attempt
is to preserve critical sensitivity and to discriminate between the easy
attraction of the spectacular and the pleasure of witnessing the true
combination of form and content. Since the native spectacular plays much
depended on improvisation, only the outlines of the plots have been
handed to the present time and they are very poor examples of its
original material. This impoverished kind of theatrical tradition needs
creative impulse to be revived and adapted to the modern stage.
Playwrights like Haldun Taner, Turgut Ozakman, Oktay Arayici succeeded
in making use of the formal characteristics of traditional spectacular
plays. A colorful portrayal of social life at a given period is the main
characteristic of those plays. The detailed picture of everyday life of
a neighborhood reflects a cross section of society in general. Various
types of character represent the main social groups, classes,
professions. Their attire, diction and attitude towards life are typical
of the groups they belong. This rich range of the chromatic scale of
various types reflect an overall picture of everyday relationships and
create a spectacular harmony. The plots of such plays are episodic. Even
when they are molded into a dramatic structure, the organic chain of
events are of secondary importance. The cross-section of life with its
inner dynamics and significant situations have taken place of the
classical development of action. Usually narration contributes to the
story. Narrative passages are appreciated for their poetical expression
or humorous content. In modern practice, narration is used as a means of
critical approach to life as well. The loose structure and the
fragmentary plot of the text and anti-illusionistic style of acting are
suited well to the aspirations of politically-tended authors as well.
The Ballad of Ali  of Keshan, The Shrewd Wife of the Stupid Husband, I
Close My Eyes and Do My Duty, Shadow of the Donkey, Carnival under
Moonlight by Haldun Taner, The House of Fehim Pasha, Illustirated
Ottoman History, A Sehnaz Play by Turgut Ozakman, Fire at Aksaray by
Gungor Dilmen, Bear Story by Refik Erduran,  The Catchword Rosebud and
The Vain World by Oktay Arayici, Guest by Bilgesu Erenus are the most
successful examples of this promising trend in Turkish drama.

>From the eighties on, a stagnation is discernible in Turkish drama.
Along with the new plays of the wrigters of former generation, Tuncer
Cucenoglu (b.1944)  who dwells on social responsibilities of the
individuals  and  on administrative problems, Murathan Mungan (b. 1955)
who draws his material from South Eastern myths and facts and captures
the tragic mood which is expressed in poetic diction in his outstanding
trylogy Mahmut and Yezida, Taziye, Deers and Curses and Mehmet Baydur
(b. 1951) who outranges with his shrewdness of dialogue and cleverly
chosen  dramatic situations in his plays like Lemon,Orchids in the
Leftovers of Fire, The Girl of Republic, Sitation of  Women are most
notable writers of the time.

--

Mine Aysen Doyran
PhD Student