APPEAL. APPEAL. APPEAL.

In Turkey, the Death Fast has gone past its 40th day. ABOUT TWELVE DAYS ARE
LEFT BEFORE PEOPLE START TO DIE!
In 13 prisons in our country, 99 prisoners and convicts have lain down to
die, as well as 10 members of prisoners' families outside the prisons. They
are marching towards death. The indefinite hunger strike started on October
20 was transformed into a Death Fast on November 19. Ninety-nine prisoners
and convicts of whom 75 are men and 24 are women are marching step by step
towards death.
On November 29 another 38 volunteers started the Death Fast. Now 137
prisoners are marching towards death.
THE PRISONERS WILL DIE. AND AS THEIR RELATIVES, WE TOO WILL DIE! In Turkey's
prisons, up to the present dozens of prisoners and convicts have been
slaughtered by the official forces of the state. Now they have built the 'F'
Type prisons so as to more conveniently kill a larger number of prisoners,
practise prolonged torture on them, deprive them of their personality and
turn them into repenters. The prisoners and convicts and we their relatives
refuse to accept the 'F' Type prisons. Those who are in the prisons have
shown their resolve, saying, "We will die but we will not go into the
isolation cells." And with this resolve they have lain down to die. We who
are not in prison have begun a Death Fast, saying that if we are to die we
will show the same resolve that they are displaying. If it comes to death,
so be it, this resistance will go on till victory.
WE WANT DEMOCRACY AND JUSTICE IN TURKEY! The prisoners and convicts WANT:
* The closure of the 'F' Type prisons
* The abolition of the Anti-Terror Law
* The closure of the State Security Courts (DGMs)
* The bringing to judgement of those who tortured and murdered a total of 27
prisoners and convicts in Buca, Umraniye, Diyarbakir and Ulucanlar.
The Anti-Terror Law, the DGMs, the torture and murders of prisoners in our
country are more or less known to most of the world public. In 1991, with
the appearance of the Anti-Terror Law on the agenda, operations,
disappearances, murders by unknown perpetrators and putting villages to the
torch also reared their ugly head in our land. Again, this law has served to
whitewash all the torturers, murderers, contra-guerrilla elements, death
squads and mafiosi. This law also props up the DGMs which fill the prisons
with all those who come out against injustice or who seek to obtain their
rights, punishing them with sentences of decades in custody. And, as if this
were not enough, now they want to DESTROY THEM with 'F' Type "isolation" and
a policy of slaughtering them.
ALL YOU who defend the "RIGHT TO LIFE": let us prevent their deaths. The way
to prevent their deaths is to secure the acceptance of the prisoners' and
convicts' legitimate demands.
ALL YOU international human rights institutions, progressive and democratic
institutions who say you are on the side of democracy! Make every effort to
prevent their deaths. There are many legitimate actions you can engage in,
many legal and diplomatic steps you can undertake.
To all peoples! To all the world's democratic public opinion! You will not
stand up now, so when will you rise to your feet? In Turkey, democracy and
human rights are trampled underfoot. In Turkey, the racist fascist MHP
(Nationalist Movement Party) is in power and supported by EUROPE'S
SUPPOSEDLY DEMOCRATIC governments as well as by the USA. Support the
resistance in Turkey: you will then be demanding a reckoning from fascist,
imperialist and racist politics in your own countries.
ALL YOU governments who say you are democratic and are defenders of
democracy! You also have a duty to defend prisoners' and convicts' right to
life in the face of Turkey's fascist regime.
137 prisoners and convicts are marching towards death. At most, there are a
few weeks to go before the deaths start. Experience of previous Death Fasts
shows that, from the 60th day of resistance, we will begin having to remove
their dead bodies from the prisons!
THERE IS NO TIME TO WASTE! THERE IS NO TIME TO STOP!
TO EVERYONE AND ALL ASSOCIATIONS WHICH SUPPORT THE RIGHT TO LIFE, HUMAN
RIGHTS, DEMOCRACY, JUSTICE AND FREEDOM! In the name of the resistance of the
prisoners and convicts, in the name of the families of the prisoners and
convicts, this is our appeal to you. This is an appeal by humanity. This is
an appeal by those who are resisting. This is an appeal by justice. Go out
into the city squares. Put pressure on your own governments. Send faxes,
letters and e-mails! Do something! SUPPORT THE RESISTANCE! DON'T LET THEM
DIE!

December 2, 2000
FROM THE TAYAD FAMILIES
TAYAD can be reached at:
Address: Ordek Kasap Mahallesi, Ibrahim Muteferrika Cad. Lale Apartmani No:
6/1 Findikzade Fatih/ISTANBUL
Tel/Fax: 0090 212 532 3700
Internet site: hucreiskencedir.cjb.net
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]