Carrol wrote....
<I don't think mental illness is funny, and I do not like, even in
humor, to be placed in the same category with the president-elect.>

Carrol, I don't recall even mentioning your name once in my post.     In
fact, I included only myself as having been a 'mental patient'.      You
seem rather functional (sane), though utterly lacking in humor at times.
PLUS, Baby Bush is not a 'lunatic'.

The main thrust of my post was to state the difference between
functionality/ and disfunctionality as being the lines that capitalist
society most often defines sanity/ mental illness .    You chose not to
address this at all.     Instead...

<Illinois is probably somewhat better than Texas (and the whole mental
illness industry is probably in many ways corrupt), nevertheless the
best opportunity a person hearing voices has of ever living a minimally
decent life *is* to report those voices to some medical agent and hope.>

You state this as utter fact, yet many might  disagree with this 'hope'
you hold out.     This might well be the road to ECT sessions or being
jailed in dysfunctional institutes, which you contrast as being
preferible to freedom.    It might be the path to permanent nerve damage
from psychotropic drugs used to control behaviors.

Let me state that I completely agree with you that actually 'hearing
voices' is a terrible condition to experience.     Nevertheless, my
humor was directed at the gullibility of the counselling/ judicial
bureaucracy that will wisk you away on a dime if it is even so much as
suggested that...... voices are to be heard.    Yes, two doctors say it
is so and off you go.    Make that one doctor, Macdonald.

<Moreover, due to the unholy alliance in the US between romantic idiots
who think schizophrenia is somehow a mystical experience and neoliberals
wanting to cut down social expenses mental patients have simply been
dumped out onto the streets. I know several in that condition, and it is
simply horrible, _for them_.>

Carrol, is it really this unholy alliance that did this horrible crime?
I rather thought that reactionary pigs were directing these
'ocurrances'.     Institutionalizing or street life?     Surely there is
another alternative?

I hope that the form of my reply has been less 'distasteful'?     This
is a serious topic and I welcome a serious discussion about it with you.
If we talk about it further, we should not confine ourselves to only
those that have problems with 'voices'.    In reality, many more that
come in contact with the 'mental health business' now come by way of
counselling, prisons, Down's Syndome, or behavioral 'problems'.    Or by
way of Dr. Laura.

Tony