En relación a [L-I] Zyuganov Interview 11 September 2000: Russi,
el 17 Jan 01, a las 15:22, Yoshie Furuhashi dijo:

> Zyuganov Interview 11 September 2000
>

> Russia today is at a crossroads. Either we following the new state
> line which takes the national interest as its guide or continue with
> the old policy of [acting prime minister in the early nineties Yegor]
> Gaydar or rather [Economic Development and Trade Minister German]
> Gref. If the choice is in favour of the latter, of liberal reforms
> when the land is sold off and they try to finish off the nuclear
> missile shield, when the railways are sold off and the last natural
> monopolies are eliminated and when even our forests are sold into
> private hands then there will be nothing left of Russia.

Not too communist, isn't it? Plain bourgeois nationalism, isn't it? But in fact
this is most probably the only way ANY revolutionary should express her or
himself in Russia. I live in Argentina, a country where it would have been good
to have a strong "PCRA" (that is, a Communist Party of the Argentinean
Republic) offering support to, say, Raúl Alfonsín in 1983 in exchange of, er,
let me read again, yes: struggle against the liberal reformers such as Martínez
de Hoz (our Gaidar), Cavallo, and so on.

It is very hard to understand, even for the most honest of comrades living in a
core country in the West, what does it mean when a country begins to suffer
from "the nostalgies of having been and the pain of not being any more", as a
tango says. When you are under constant harassment, and you see everything
crumbling around you, when you begin to sense that there is almost no power
left in your country but the power of the state, when you discover the frenzy
of destructive folly that recolonization means (particularly in a country such
as Russia, or in a sense Argentina, where people had become convinced that
whatever could happen there would be no relapse into the worst times of our
past), when you begin to take your bearings in such a particular kind of
landscape, then you discover that a policy such as the one advanced by Zyuganov
may be quite interesting.

In the end, when Hugo Moyano, the union leader in Argentina, claims that his
CGT is not against De la Rúa, but against the IMF, and that they are ready to
support the former against the latter, is doing more or less what Zyuganov
proposes here.

[...]

It seems to me that he is playing judo, trying to use the enemy's power to his
own benefit, seeking to enlarge splits in the ruling coalition (1) and offering
popular support to the most progressive forces within it. Please read the
following with the above in mind:

>  The government is
> currently developing one policy to revive the homeland and another
> which is promoted by the same group which has tortured the country
> for ten years and which seeks to sell off all the natural monopolies,
> including our forests. We will work with those who support our
> national interests.

[...]

It looks like Zyuganov shares my general description of the situation. I don't
know if this is good for me or not, but he can't be accused of inconsequence,
he acts according to what he perceives to be true:

> There are two groups: one is the continuation of the family [Yeltsin
> clan], Berezovskiy, [energy chief Anatoliy] Chubays and Gref. This
> group is now doing everything it can to divide the railways into 17
> sectors and privatize them. That would spell the end of Russia as a
> single unit. Let's say [Deputy Prime Minister Viktor] Khristenko and
> his team have prepared a programme for selling off our forests into
> private hands. Sixty-nine per cent of the territory of Russia is
> forest. It is our national wealth... Putin instructs him to stop
> destroying the industry. But they have already sold the pulp and
> paper industry and stopped timber processing.

Later on, he explains that the financial clique rules in spite of popular vote:

> The whole of our finances and the
> budget is in the hands of Chubays's mob. The whole lot. They have
> brought forward the new budget in the Duma. There's a bit more. But
> what is the overall policy in this new budget? There is nothing for
> science and the training of scientists. There is virtually nothing
> for investment...

Then, crassly IMHO, he attempts to provide Putin with a programme of his own,
as if his ministers were not his programme. But this is non consequential. The
important fact is that Zyuganov is trying to lead resistence during a
protracted retreat that is costing blood and pain for every Russian still
alive.

But he certainly is NOT a Fascist. It would probably not be out of reason to
remember everybody here that true Fascism is the undisguised rule of great
capital, and that Russia is under attack from the great capital, not a member
of such a select club.
NOTES

(1) if I am not wrong, it is a coalition between the military -who strive for
"revival of the homeland" and the lower ranks of the bureaucracy of state, on
one side, and the oligarchs, on the other: if I am not wrong, this is the
difference with the Yeltsin age, where the oligarchs ruled by themselves
through the Great Drunkard, but please Russian cdes., what do YOU think?

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky