>Forgot to mention that Leys think it is hard to speak of dependency or
>imperialism in subsaharan Africa when there is very little foreign
>economic penetration or activity. As for Brenner, reading him I've
>wondered if the world only consisted of four countries: USA, Germany and
>Japan.
>
>Sam

Imperial nations have invested in one another far more massively than
in the periphery in general (including but not limited to Africa) at
least since the end of the Second World War.  That's no reason to
argue that there exists no dependency or imperialism, though.

I think it's best to define imperialism broadly as what is necessary
to ensure the continued reproduction of capitalism, subjecting all to
the discipline of the world market (which may _de-industrialize_
large parts of the world, depending on its systemic needs), instead
of focusing quantitatively on the relative volumes of foreign
investments in this or that nation or region on the periphery as Leys
seems to do.

Yoshie