The URL for this article is
http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/Johnstone/24th.htm
[Emperor's Clothes]

THE PRICE OF TRUTH
by Diana Johnstone [posted 29-3-2001]

[Note: On March 23-24 the Belgrade Forum hosted an international conference
to commemorate and analyze the NATO aggression against Yugoslavia. Diana
Johnstone, whose work awakened many of us to the truth about the
U.S./German/British assault on Yugoslavia, could not attend. However, she
sent the following statement. It includes very interesting comments about the
significance of the U.S.-pushed effort to jail Yugoslav President Miloshevich
who was removed from office Oct. 5th in what is described oxymoronically in
the Western press as a "democratic coup."- Jared Israel]

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your invitation to attend the Conference on "The
Truth About NATO Aggression". The 24th of March, 1999, was a day of lies,
injustice and war that must be neither forgotten nor forgiven. The injustice,
the loss of life and the destruction cannot be undone, but the lies must be
relentlessly denounced and exposed. It is appropriate to hold such a
conference on Truth on this tragic anniversary -- this year and no doubt for
years to come, as the task of establishing the truth is likely to be long and
hard.

Unfortunately, this year I am unable to attend for personal reasons. However,
I wish to stress that my absence in no way indicates any lessening of my
commitment to the struggle for truth, justice and peace in the Balkans. This
struggle is now in a very difficult phase, as the United States is bringing
all manner of pressure to force the Serbs themselves to endorse the falsified
version of history used by NATO to justify the cruel and illegal air war
launched against Yugoslavia just two years ago.

It was not enough to bomb Yugoslavia, killing innocent civilians and
destroying the country's infrastructure, or to turn over part of its
territory to criminal bands of armed racists who murder defenseless citizens
and mount new military provocations as NATO looks on helplessly. The United
States and its NATO partners now demand that Serbian authorities cooperate in
rewriting history in order to blame the victim not only for the bombing but
for all the wars that ravaged Yugoslavia throughout the 1990s. That is the
reason for the insistent demand to turn over former President Milosevic to
the "International Criminal Tribunal". The objective is a political show
trial, no different from the notorious show trials of past dictatorial
regimes, designed to rewrite history to suit the dominant power and its
clients.

American officials are quoted as urging Serbian authorities to keep searching
for some crime committed by Milosevic, since "he's certainly guilty of
something..." No such frantic search is necessary to find the guilt of NATO
leaders. They launched an illegal war. They targeted civilian infrastructure,
used toxic weapons. The evidence has been compiled by jurists in several
countries. The matter is clear. But the ICTY prosecutor refused to
investigate NATO, not surprisingly, since she works for them, although she
seems not even to realize it.

The demand to extradite a former head of state to a grossly biased political
Tribunal in return for dollars is an attempt to turn Serbian government
ministers into bounty hunters. A reward of $5 million is offered for
Milosevic. The U.S. Congress dangles aid dollars in front of Serbian
officials, and gives them a deadline to comply with U.S. dictates by the end
of the month or else the goodies will be snatched away. Serbia is summoned by
the United States to abandon its dignity and capacity to judge its own
reality in exchange for a fistful of dollars -- a scenario worthy of a
spaghetti Western.

Milosevic -- and Serbia -- must be found guilty in order to prove that NATO
was innocent. The bounty hunters might profit from the bounty money. The
Serbian people would pay dearly. Politically, materially and in the right to
their own truth.

At the conference in Belgrade last year, I remarked that I did not consider
it my business to intervene in Yugoslavia's internal politics. I can
understand that people may be tired of suffering hardships, of being treated
as pariahs by the Western powers, isolated and subjected to sanctions. I can
understand they may grasp at illusions. I can understand that they may want
to be treated as "normal", regardless of the price. But watch out! The price
for giving up the truth and abandoning justice may be much higher than it
seems. Serbia deserves the respect of the world, and this respect is and will
continue to be earned by a courageous and stubborn devotion to truth.

***
WE MAY BE FREE BUT WE STILL NEED MONEY!

Emperor's Clothes does not charge a subscription fee. But of course nothing
is free.

We rely mainly on volunteer labor. Nevertheless there are plenty of bills.
For example, the cost of Lexis, our search engine, has doubled. Lexis is the
best method of rapidly locating news stories from several thousand sources
over the past twenty years. It is probably the best political research tool
ever available. But now it costs twice as much.

We rely on our readers for contributions. If you like what we're trying to
do, please help.

Please mail a check to Emperor's Clothes, P.O. Box 610-321, Newton, MA
02461-0321. (USA)

Or if you have access to a computer, please go to our secure server at
http://emperors-clothes.com/howyour.html#donate

Or you can call us at l 617 916-1705 between 9:30 AM and 5:30 PM, Eastern
Time (USA) and Bob will take your credit card information over the phone.

Thanks for reading Emperor's Clothes.

If you're reading this on a Website other than Emperor's Clothes and would
like to check out our home page, please click here

www.tenc.net
[Emperor's Clothes]