clip from:

Nezavisimaya Gazeta
March 22, 2001
"Something Wicked Comes This Way": Sad Story of U.S. Aid to Russian
"Reformers".
By Alexander N. Domrin.

(as received from JRL)
****
In reality, since Margaret Thatcher's infamous endorsement of Gorbachev in
December 1984 through the latest period of contemporary Russian history,
the Western governments have been promoting a "strategic alliance with
Russian _reform_" rather than an alliance with Russia herself. A guiding
principle of the U.S. foreign policy was not to support Russia, but to
support "Russian _reforms_"[...]
****

Any comments on this story of Thatcher? I was definitely not aware of this at all...
hoping some light can be shed.

Macdonald

In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht