Hallöchen!

Sebastian Kraft writes:

> [...]
>
> In 2016 I started to refactor most of the library internals as it
> turned out that its structure cannot be extended, e.g. with the
> perspective correction now available in the alpha release, and was
> really difficult to maintain. A lot of code has been modernized
> and cleaned up to make Lensfun ready for the future. But
> unfortunately, the time I can spent in coding for the Lensfun
> project since then has decreased a lot and today the project is
> more or less stalled.

I think the main challenge has been that many things had to be
changed at the same time -- it was not possible, or at least not
obvious to me, how to separate it into smaller chunks.  And this big
change could not be handled given the restricted resources.

I still don’t see how this can be made in smaller steps.  The good
news is that most of the path to the next release is behind us, at
least in my estimation.

The goal should be to get a working release, possibly together with
patches against Darktable to use the new API.  It needn’t implement
all planned things.  Just working.  Then, we can take a deep breath
and move on.  In particular, then new people can join the code
development sensibly.  Currently, they would have a tough time to
understand the code.

My own agenda (until August, when I have an additional toddler
around me):

- Fix the cronjobs so that new uploads end up properly -- done.

- Make the ownCloud directory consistent with the GitHub issues --
  done.  (70 new profiles in the pipe.  Ye...ah!)

- Create additional consistency checkers that send me mails when
  something wents wrong again -- done.

Not done:

- Crawl through all issues to filter out unusable uploads and place
  questions to the uploaders where necessary.

- Answer the 60+ Lensfun-related emails in my inbox of the last 12
  months.

- Work through the tickets on Sourceforge.

- Move the whole project from Sourceforge to GitHub.  Except for the
  Mailing list.

- Work through the Pull Requests of GitHub.

- Open the calibration workflow so that it works completely without
  me.

- Do the 140 calibrations.  Argh!

Now for the code:

- Find the best internal coordinate system.  The current distortion
  one, the current vignetting one, the Adobe system, …?

- Implement that coordinate system.

- Finalise the API changes.  Argh!

- Patch Darktable to work with the new Lensfun API.

- Make a release.

- Do all the other things that Sebastian mentioned.

Help is welcome, especially senseful in the following areas:

- Identify unusable calibration uploads.

- Do the calibrations, find further calibrators.

- Triage, possibly resolve, non-upload tickets and issues on GH and
  SF.

- Patch DT for the new Lensfun API (once we know how it looks like).

- Move to GitHub.

Regards,
Torsten.

--