On Apr 8, 11:22 am, "Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another possibility is to make cursor movement commands smarter.  They
> would tell editCommands.editWidget to return the minibuffer if focus
> is already there.

This was surprisingly easy.  There is now a set of commands that can
be applied to the minibuffer: basic cursor-movement commands, delete
characters, select-all and kill-line.

There is special case code of various kinds (not too odious, imo) that
causes the command to operate directly on the minibuffer if focus is
already there.  Never underestimate the power of special hacks to make
the interface look uniform :-)

I'll push the code to the trunk after I use it for several hours.  All
unit tests pass.

Edward

P.S. A recent video, I think it was a TED Talk, by the great Alan Kay
got me thinking about ways to reduce the hacks.  The idea is to make
all text widgets more object oriented by having the *widget* support
the editing commands.  No more special case dispatching code.  This
would be a big big refactoring: I don't *think* it will be worthwhile
(or needed) now.  We shall see...

EKR