On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:48:54 -0500
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We should definitely turn this concept to more of a bundled product,
> > as it's a significant usability win. Perhaps we'll have one command
> > line script "leoclient", and other scripts that would call
> > "leoclient editfile", "leoclient stickynote", "leoclient grep"...
>
> Can you explain in more detail.  I am totally lost about why this
> gives us anything new.  Thanks.

It's probably of little benefit to people who work with mouse, menus,
and icons all the time.

But if you do everything from the command line (i.e. your OS's shell),
then it makes moving things into leo much smoother.

Suppose I've run leo and checked my todo items for the day, and now
leo's buried under some other window and I'm working in the shell in
some directory I've just created where I've just unzipped something and
now I want to edit a file that was in the .zip.

I can either
  - find the leo window
  - insert a node
  - active the open file dialog
  - navigate to the directory containing this file
  - select the file
  - and finally do the editing I want to do
or, with Ville's communication to the running leo
  - enter on the command line `led foo.txt`
  - and do the editing I want to do

where led is a script which causes the running leo to create an @edit
node containing foo.txt and pop to the front with the node selected.

Previously I was much more likely to use emacs, just because it was
easier to invoke that way from the command line.

So, opening files, creating sticky notes, invoking leo to handle output
from grep or diff or whatever - all these things are better now.